Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making jazz lines tasty

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I am a sophomore in high school and I've been playing double/electric bass in the jazz band since my freshman year. During that time I've been taking weekly jazz lessons and my instructor tells me I'm making lots of progress but he also reccomends I get an instructional book. I have a good feel for making lines out of chord tones and common passing tones but I'm wanting more than that. I need reccomendations for a book that will help me flavor up my jazz playing and possibly help with solo ideas.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    For an all-around great book, try The Jazz Theory Book, by Mark Levine. Ed Friedland's Bass Improvisation is a good one for soloing.
    Those are just my reccomendations, though. Try a quick search of the GI fourm, too. Many other books have been discussed.

3. granttheman

granttheman

Jan 30, 2003
    Denton, TX
    The Jazz Theory Book is great, I'd have to say. It covers most topics that can spice up a walking line, and might give you a solid background for soloing. For soloing though, don't push yourself. The best advice I can give is that one day it will just all sort of make sense, and improv will just happen. Good luck!

--The Man

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    here are a few of my faves:

THE EVOLVING BASSIST - Rufus Reid

THE BOTTOM LINE/The Ultimate Bass Line Book - Todd Coolman

BUILDING JAZZ BASS LINES - Ron Carter

also, you should check out the bass line transcriptions of the Jamie Aebersold CDs.

f