1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZombieGhosTrain, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Hope this is in the right place...my apologies otherwise.

So, what are some around-the-house items that can be made into volume knobs? This is for a beater bass, and I am on a low budget right now (who knew DBs were so expensive?), so what are some things I can pop on there? The originals are loose and I am getting sick of them.

Any ideas? I've seen once made of wood that look like actual control knobs on some of your basses, but I don't think I'd be able to pull that off.

Thanks!

2. you can usually go down to a Guitar Center or some music store and pick up new knobs for really cheap.

That being said, I think toothpaste tube caps would be pretty cool.

3. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    just drill a hole in something and push it in. it won't last long though. you'd need an allen screw in one side to hold it in, like a real knob.

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    put some masking tape around the post of the potentiometer and then force your loose knobs back in.

5. OoO toothpaste caps...maybe fill them with cork and drill a hole in it or something... until then thanks Diego, the tape is a good idea. I'm just going to go wander around looking for things in the meantime.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

Guys are generally born with them.

:ninja:

And tape around pot + loose knob shoudl work.

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    old oven knobs would look sweet. Set at 350 for 25 minutes or until light brown on top.

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    you could be badd a$$ and go knobless.

Another option is taking a tiny bit of epoxy, coating the shaft of the pot with it and sticking something on (like.. umm... a piece of clay?)... yeah... dont do that.

9. So far I tried some things sitting around.... .22 longrifle shells are too thin to fit over the pot, and the 9mm is too big, but I can fill it in with cork or something, and drill a hole in it. Same for some shotgun shells I have lying around...those may protrude a bit far from the bass though. If that doesn't work...my mom may wonder why her dryer knobs went missing...but keep 'em coming!

Edit: I found 2 9mm shells, and the cap to a Jones soda, which looks really cool. For my 3 knobs I may just sandwich the Jones in the middle with the cases on either side.

10. Well I made these knobs not out of necessity, but out of want. Here we go, sorry for the blurriness.

jonesandbullets.

jonesandbullet2.

Now the outside knobs are made of Jones Soda caps. This is Canadian soda that is amazingly great, so what a great way to honor them. The middle is a 9mm bullet casing, I found in my car. I corked the inside and drilled a hole in that and slammed them on. Huzzah!

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I love Jones! Holy crap, I might have to do that.

12. I'm actually wondering more what a 9mm casing is doing in your car.

But then again, So-Cal...;)

13. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

hehe me too

14. Caps look great... hhhmmmm......
    getting some Ideas myself....
    If they work I'll let you guys work

Greetings from the Beyond...

Mind
    PussyTrap
    NL

15. I found it long ago in the street and threw it in my change compartment. 9mm's don't really do it for me...I'm more of a rifle/shotgun guy. So if I was doing drive-bys it would be really obvious with one of those.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that, now I don't sound so bad@$$. New story: I'm always packin', and I had to defend my rep' on the street.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    so is "J" for "J-Bass" or is a tribute to me? :p

-jimbo

17. Actually, I had you in mind when I made this. 1 of a kind custom, 5K and it's yours!;)

18. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    :eek: what a steal!

-jimbo

19. If you do buy it, your Talkbass name must forever start with a J. Are you ready for that kind of commitment? Being married to a letter?

20. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    Dice, you can drill 'emn and tap 'em, the metric set screw'll cost you 50 cents each at True Value.