Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making lines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    MY band has started to write our own songs. were at the stage were r set is half covers and half original. but how can I make the lines in our songs more interesting? were playing like p roach, silverchair, incubus (science) type stuff. I can play good lines I just cant write them.

2. Well, i was in the same situation as you about 6 months back. Basically you got to learn some basic theory with regards to keys and stuff. I mean if you want to write like Dirk Lance then its gonna take a while. All i can suggest is study what those bassist play and fool around with your own material to add parts that those bassists you admire use. Then you should after a while get an idea of what they are doing and your own stuff should follow. If you have a teacher then ask him/her for some literature on Improvising etc,

sim

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx mate, sorry i took so long to reply. i'll try and mix all their styles and produce one of my own and maybe someday some lil 14 yr starting in a band will incorparate my style!

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    were all sorta in the same boat, or getting out of the dingy and getting into the crusie ship.

ya i was the same, then the guitarrist said "can you make something for this line i made up?" and he played something that had a real snap to it...keep in mind that this was at my tryout for this band. so i asked him to programme the effects he was using onto my pedal, he used to have the same one now he uses the model up so he had no trouble punching it in.

7.92 seconds later :D i had a line for it that made him change his pants.

to me all my lines dont seem like theyre something that a musician would play, i learn theory and apply that AND common sence to my lines but they come off real weird to me but others think theyre genius.
    youll be the same probably, all you have to do is remember that youll never know how you look through others eyes, or sound in others ears.

later
    Lukas

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx, thats the best a dvice i've heard in a long time :)

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

drmike's advice is definitely worth serious thought. The only downside is it takes effort and time, (heaven forbid! ;) ).

I would only add listen to some great "line" players. Try comping any of James Brown's bassists or the Motown bassists. Those guys played a song within a song.