Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making Merchandise

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by johnm0187, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Hi.

I am currently trying to promote my band by selling merchandise on www.cafepress.com. We have come up with some image ideas for shirts, ect,.

What is the best way to draw these hand drawn scetches onto the computer? I was thinking photoshop, but I don't really know.

Thanks
    John

2. Actually, you could also go with Illustrator. Scan the drawing and go over it... much better if you use non-photo blue pencil and then a marker for the hand drawing.

Depends.

Right now I'm taking a Photoshop class and Photoshop can be used to color a hand drawing.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Cafe Press is awful for tshirts. They just print onto an iron-on transfer sheet and put it on. I'd recommend either getting a screen printing kit and making your own, or ordering a large batch from a screen print company.

4. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been fairly impressed with the quality of shirts we've gotten from cafe press. Granted, screen printing is the better option in the long run, but cafepress.com works pretty well.

As far as how to get your drawings to a digital format, what I did was ink one of our drawings, scanned it, and then filled it in using Photoshop. It worked out quite well, though it was a little time consuming.

5. Ok...I got illustrator and I scanned the drawing in. How should I trace over it?

6. Someone seriously help me...I try using the pen tool and it lookos like crap, so I don't think this is how I should do it, but I don't know how else to.

7. Ah... the pen tool.

That is one tricky mutha.

The trick is to clic on the anchor point(s) when the upside down V comes so you can control the curve drawing as you go along.

However in your case it sounds like you may need Photoshop. The pen tool in Illustrator takes practice.

Good luck

PS: I'm taking some Graphic Design courses, so... ;)

8. Well I have them both, so how would I go by doing this in Photoshop?

9. Like Tnavis said.

1- Make the drawing in pencil.

2- Ink over so it scans better. Black marker. I use them Sharpies...

3- Scan

4- Color on Photoshop

10. I feel like an idiot.... :eyebrow:

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If you are going to want to screen print this it needs(should) to be done in Illustrator. And mind how many colors you use. Don't be afraid of the pen tool, it's your friend. I am an Art Director by day and have been for 15 years so I know a little about this.

Don't use photoshop for T-Shirt design. 4 color shirts are expensive and Iron-ons don't do to good for sale. Get a nice 2 color or even 1 color design and your in. The price is still reasonable for 2 color and people really like basic shirts.

Someone recommended getting the stuff to print the shirts yourself. I would also stand behind this statement especially if the layout you come up with is 1 color. It is really easy to print shirts once you get the hang of it.

Any questions you would like to ask let me know.