Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making my 1hour of slap practice routine...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 29, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    What should i put on the program?

I have know idea, and i'm not really good on slapping but that's the point of practice..

The things i'm thinking about having on my program is:

-Thumb/Pluck on one string, i guess that's how i'm supposed to play when i do a lot of tones on one string.
    -Different rhythms
    -Open hammer pluck, triplets etc...
    -Double/Triple plucks, if it's usefull lol...
    - ?? i dont know...

I'm going to something like 10/15min on each part, i guess...
    but i still think i need to add alot of more things, what's imporant for a slap player?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Metronome practice. Slap is completely uneffective if it doesn't have rhythm. You should have a metronome on the entire time you practice if you can, but part of that time you should spend focusing on getting your timing/rhythm perfect. As in thumping quarter notes, then eighth notes, then popping quarters, eighths, doing octaves, etc. at a certain BPM, then upping the BPM and starting over. Don't cut yourself slack on this-if the timing isn't really good, then it's no good.

I didn't have a metronome when I first started learning slap, so I'd just turn on the radio or a cd and play with whatever rhythm was being played. Pop music is actually better, as drum machines are used more often than real drummers, so there's little chance for timing errors that humans can make.

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I did my first slap practice now :cool:

I just worked on the rhythm, first half-notes for 20min, then quarter notes for 15min, then 8notes 15min and the last 10min i tried to practice Tumb/Pluck on one string but i found out it's a real problem slapp on the D and G string, i almost get no sound..

anyway, any right hand motion excercises?

The strange thing is, that even i i played half-notes for a 1/3 of the hour the time flew way faster than when i practice scales...

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    T=Thumb
    P= Pop/Pluck
    In 4/4-
    Code:
    1---2---3---4---[/left]
    [left]T---P---T---P---[/left]
    [left]
    Reversed-​
    Code:
    1---2---3---4---[/left]
    [left]P---T---P---T---[/left]
    [left]

Code:
    1e&-2e&-3e&-4e&-
    TTP-TTP-TTP-TTP-

Reversed-
    Code:
    1e&-2e&-3e&-4e&-
    PTT-PTT-PTT-PTT-

Code:
    1e-a2e-a3e-a4e-a 
    TP-TTP-TTP-TTP-T

Or-
    Code:
    TP-PTP-PTP-PTP-P
    Triplets-
    Code:
    1&a2&a3&a4&a 
    TPTTPTTPTTPT

...for starters.

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm not sure if you do this already, but as my fellow hockey fan above me posted, (I think) make sure you eventually play notes when working on different slap techniques. The whole goal is to make music, as Victor Wooten says it "too often we learn a technique for just what it is, and we just stick with that"

I posted this on another topic, but think about incorporating different rhythmic patterns into your playing. I personally am not good at doing it, but think about drumming and things like paradiddles and ratimacules(sp?)

Ex. Paradiddle on drum: right, left, right right :left, right, left left
    Ex. Paradiddle on bass: thumb, pop, thumb thumb: pop, thumb, pop pop
    Note: the "double thump" comes in handy here.

I know it sounds really screwy but if you can get your mind into a different flow, that's when you really get creative.

Greets from Colorado:

Oog :cool:

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I have the slap bass program so maybe i should just practice some of the "excercises" on that one?

Also, i'm not sure what to do on a single string, i try to learn primus cover of master of puppets and the last 8note or something is on the e-string which i found hardest to do thum/pluck on...
    i watched them live and either he's just slapping them with his thumb or double-thump them, but i cant play many fast notes just with my thumb...

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The faster notes can be had by doing what's called a "hammer - on". Basically it's just tapping but with the fret hand...believe me it'll take some practice to get there, but you've got the right idea....nothing great ever comes fast or easy.

Oogenstein has a great point as well. I'm a former drummer and when I started thinking in terms of rhythms like paradiddles, ratamacues, and drag triplets in along with the standard 8ths and 16ths for thumping, things made a lot more sense

There's several threads on slap instructional videos and some of 'em are pretty good...I'd stongly suggest you search them out!

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good stuff for noob's and intermediates alike, Mike

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    doesn't work

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Works for me.

12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Weird.

Anyway, i splitted up the hour to a half hour tapping and a half hour slapping.
    I still dont have a plan over my half hour but i usually start with 8note octave pattern switching between the E and D string to the A and G, i also switch between the D and G and A and D and so on..
    after that i do the same thing but 2 16th note and one 8th note and after that i just change the rhythm a bit.

I also practice do the left hand slap thing alex sklaervski showed me in slap bass program, thumb-left-thumb-pluck(triplet).

and then the half hour is pretty much gone..