Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making my 6 frtlss. your opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Oct 30, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i am building my own fretless 6 and and going back and forth on body wing woods. here are my choices so far:
    (top,accent,core,accent, back)
    please let me know what you think and suggest alternates.

1.burl maple
    mahogany
    walnut
    mahogany
    burl maple

2. avodire
    mahogany
    walnut
    mahogany
    avodire

3. claro walnut
    maple
    mahogany or cherry
    maple
    claro

4. zebrawood
    walnut
    tiger maple
    walnut
    zebrawood

the neck is going to be a five piece rock maple, purpleheart, maple, purple heart, maple

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Some importent detail are missing. Will it be neck trough or bolt-on? What's the fretboard wood? What type of tone are you looking for? If you're just asking our opinion on looks I have one more question; why use acccent when you already have contrasting woods? The only combination that might need it is number 3 since walnut and mahogany have a similar colour. I'd probably go with number 1 (no accent) or 3.But that's just me.
    :)
    PL

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i am using a 50 year old piece of ebony for the fingerboard. I like the look of mahogany and walnut so there is the reasoning for that - also i want a 5 piece body.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  5. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Then I'd say go for your 3rd option. I think that Dave Grossman as a Hanewinckel that could give you a go idea of how it would look.
    PL

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I think this should be in the luthier's corner...

JP