Making My Amp Louder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringthing, Jul 23, 2002.

1. 4stringthing

May 10, 2001
    I've got a Crate 50-BX 50 Watt Combo Amp. I want to make it louder. Can I use a extension cab? I've checked out the crate web site. They've got the BX220H Head w/ 220 watts RMS. Or can I use the extension speaker? Please help me out guys. I don't know a whole lot of the technical aspect of amps.

(((Let me know if you need some more details on the amp))))
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Hey man
    Another cab wouldn't make it louder.. you would just get a little more wall of sound. what you would need is a head to push the cabinent to make it louder. I learned something the other day.. no matter what anyone says watts dont always mean how loud things are.
    a 50 watt marshall and 100 watt marshall are the same thing exept for about 3db .. which is about the sound of you tapping your fingers on a hard surface.
    I played my uncles tube amp he built (10 watt) and it scorched the 60 watt randall he has that he plays his tom anderson through..
    Try out amps if you want more volume but be willing to spend a good bit of money unless you wanna hit yard sales... which i think are probably best
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    You can't make it louder. To start with, I'm pretty sure that using the external speaker jack on a Crate just mutes the internal speaker, and even if it didn't, your Crate wouldn't be able to get much volume out of an extension cab. If you get an amp head (I don't recommend Crate, get something used if you're on a budget), you'll need to get a real cab to make use of it. Then you'll have the volume you want.
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    The BX220 is not a very loud head. My Carvin PB100-15 (100 watts) is louder than that head running through a 2x15 cabinet. I recommend looking for a different head by a different company. Using the extension speaker wouldn't really make it that much louder you may want to save your money for a bigger amp.
  5. I'm a bit confused, as usual.

So, if I had an amp that was rated at 200w @ 8ohms and a 2x10 cab @ 8ohms, then replaced that cab with a 4x10 cab@8ohms, it wouldn't get louder? I thought people said "more speakers = more air pushed = more volume".

Also, can you be more clear about the "wall of sound?" Can you try to give an example?