Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making my basses prettier and better?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 1, 2001.

1. I'm going to upgrade my basses now. I'm thinking a new bridge definitely on my Jazz. The Gotoh 201 is a direct drop in and is only $20 so I think I'll go with that. Will I notice any difference in sustain or clarity of notes with the new bridge? While I'm at it, should I put on on my P? The stock bridge on that seems much more solid and doesn't rattle like a mofo like the Jazz.

I also want to make them look pretty with new pickguards. I'm pretty set on one of those Pearl? (white with big shiney chunks) pickguards for my Midnight Blue Jazz. What about the Midnight Wine P, though? I'm not sure about that. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: While I'm at it, Straplocks might be wise as my basses have fallen before. Dunlops are the best from what I've heard, correct?

2. if you really want it to look cool you should drip lots of different colours of paint all over it and smear it with your fingers and then you would have the worlds first fingerpaint bass

3. err yeah and put stickers all over it!

:rolleyes:

Merls

4. A new bridge will probably increase sustain. Gotoh makes good bridges. The PG is entirely about looks so look around for different ones. As for strap locks I'd go with Schaller. I've heard some bad stories about Dunlop strap locks malfunctioning and the bass being dropped. No horror stories about Schaller strap locks though. I have them on both my basses and don't know how I ever got along without them.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Can you have a pickguard made of wood? That would look cool...

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Link doesn't work.

7. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I just put a Gotoh-201 on my MIM Jazz. It is more solid. I think it has more sustain. Definitely not less. But it feels so much better, looks better and it doesn't rattle around anymore. So, I'd say if you have one of those cheap bridges they put on the Mexican stuff, get a Gotoh-201. You'll be happy whether you see a big difference in sustain or not.

I also got a tortoise pickguard. My jazz bass is the midnight wine colour and it looks amazing with the tortoise pickguard. The toirtoise has enough different shades of red in it to look good on anything and I think it is perfect on Fender's midnight wine.

Another thing I did was shield all my cavities. I bought 25" of 2"-wide copper shielding tape and shielded the control cavity as well as the pickup routs. I connected all the pieces of tape with solder and slapped a ground wire from the back of my tone pot to the copper tape. Before my bass used to buzzzzzzzz a lot when I wasn't touching the strings. Now it doesn't buzz at all no matter if I'm touching the strings or not.

I got all this stuff from Warmoth. The bridge is $20, the pickguard - $28, and the shielding tape - $7. My MIM Jazz is now an amazing looking and sounding instrument.