Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making my own 2x10 with horn tweater

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 11, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i want to make some thig like a 2x15 ex cab for my cavin pb100 to make my amp louder with all carvin parts tell me what i need to buy please all help would be good like what else do i need be side the speakers.

2. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    I saw that you planning to make you own speaker.
    you can't make your amp any louder by doing that !
    the speakers with your amp are mostly the best to do that . look to your impedance ( ohm ) on your amp
    then look on your speaker if they are the same: try no more ,thats the loudest you can ! if the speaker impedance is 2x higher than your amp impedance then you can add an equal speaker to your setup , be carefull with it !!! if you go below this impedance point you will fry your amp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've read you are just a kid of 15 years old so you probably have not enough money . but i suggest to buy a bigger amp and speakers . that is the best sollution before destroing your amp !!!

3. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    oh yeah ! if you fill in your profile we can help you better !!!

4. Hi there Ben.

You sent me personal messages about this. All I can say is this: don't do it. It'll cost you a lot of money and you'll end up with a bad sounding speaker cab and like Basswou says, a fried amp in the end. I'm 26, I have more than 10 years of cab building experience, and the cabs I built when I was 15, like you, weren't something to be proud of.

But shure, you could buy speakers, nail a big wooden box together and play bass.

You could also earn a bit of money, and look for used stuff. Should be cheaper than building your own.

I'm serious.

And fill in your profile. Tell us who you are.

5. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i just want to make a 2x10. i can get the speaker for free all i want to know is how to wire the speakers to the 1/4 plug i have a old 2x10 with out the speakers so i want to put them in there sorry i didnt say that before. o yah more speaker you have more air you move . o yah if any one has like blue prints to a abox that i could use for 12x please let me see them i making one for a friend

6. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    so you made your own bass ! cool !!

well .... I can't give you all the answers ! I'm here in belgium behind my computer so I can't take a look to your problem !

but once again : look at the impedance at the back of your amp and make shure you don't go below it
    when calculating your speakers . I suggest you should take a look at other 2x10 speaker cabs and learn from it . look at the specifications of the amp that comes with it , look at the specifications of the speakers and try to get the connection . Then it shouldn't be hard to connect yours with the help of a basic electronic book . or maybe you can take a look on the web ?

without the specs. I can't help you more .

7. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i know how to like hook up the speakers togather i mean how do i bulid the box thats all i need .for the one i buliding for a friend

8. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    ok ! I've made a 4x10 + tweeter and I just looked to other cab models . i used 2.6 cm wood , (this makes it really heavy )and glued it together . inside i used some iron plates ( I don't know the english word for it ) to keep it in place .

9. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i know how to make a box i mean like do i need to put holes and stuff in the or what i putting in two jvc yah i know 10 inch subwoffers and two carvin 10 inch

10. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    sorry , now I'm off track !

do you mean bass reflex holes ?
    I just went for it at my local dealer and looked at other basscab models and putted them in there !