Making my own 410 (yes I've read all the threads)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Sep 9, 2004.

1. I want to make a 410 enclosure in woodworking class in school. Just so I can learn how they work, and get school credit and their tools to do it. I've read cabinet building 101, and majority of the other links, but they are all really confusing and not as helpful, most of them are 2 speaker enclosures and people were throwing numbers out. From what I have learnt...

I need to determine the goal litre ammount of my box.

I need to determine which speakers will be the best to buy.

I need to determine how big my ports are going to be.

I'm thinking that if possible, I can make it something simular to a genz benz x2? Weight and size isn't a problem here, it's the learning experience I want to gain. My shop teacher has the right wood, and I have a little idea from other cabs I have. Will I need to isolate the speakers into different parts of the cab? Should I also have a horn? I wont need to know how the wiring goes until a few months, but I do need to know what to do to get started with the wood. Should the cabinet be air-tight other than the ports? Even around the handles and such? Any help is appreciated, and sorry to creat another post about this, I just didn't want to hijack someone elses, and couldn't get much information out of other posts such as "cabinet building 101"
  2. Oh, I did go to parts express, but didn't know what speakers were ideal. :O
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You probably need to keep reading until things are no longer confusing, first off. Have you downloaded Win ISD or another similar application yet? That'll let you see how design varies as you add more drivers. But, unless you know what you want as a result, you'll still be lost, no ? 4, 5, or 6 string ? How low do you really want it to go? How high? What's your budget ? That's very important, because you either need to pick a cab size, and then choose drivers that'll work well in that size cab, or pick drivers, and tailor the cab to those drivers. You'll have no idea on port sizes until all the rest is decided.

In any case, airtightness and solidity are critically important. Around handles, jacks, everywhere. Don't cheap out on the wood, either.
  4. Thanks for the reply it was very informative. I play 4 string, might move into spectorQ6pro in a few years, but basically I'll stick to something pretty much full range from drop D (not really a must but I do ocasionally play with it) to whatever high. My budget isn't really set, I'm willing to pay what it takes even if I have to take my time and save money and do it a little bit at a time, as I said I want to do it for the experience, not for the cost. I think since I am very interested in the genz benz 410s I'de like to do something simular to that, should I find the specs and just basically duplicate it, then find drivers that pair up nicely?
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If you go for the extended bass cab design, you'll maybe avoid the common mistake of making too small of a cab for a given driver. Or at least, it'll be closer to the "right" size.

You might try emailing Genz Benz, and explain what you're doing. They have a youth music program on the website, and just might decide to give you a little help. Maybe they'll sell you some drivers, never know 'till you ask. Be sure to tell them you're not trying to sell or directly knock off anything, just interested in getting the experience. I've given away designs to guys in electronics school a few times, but I'm also not trying to market anything at the moment.
  6. ChainedDragon

Dec 26, 2003
  7. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I just replaced the two 10s in a trace cab of mine, got them at parstexpress for $67 each:

If that link doesn't work they are EMINENCE DELTA-10B 10"
    They sound excellent, and this is in a loud stage setting also. Four of these would be killer. I'm no expert on cabinet design and what is supposed to go in what cabinet though, I think I just got lucky this time, all I was looking for were 16ohm replacements and this was all I could find.

I've built my share of bass cabinets in my day also, it's a lot of fun. I've even bought the carpet and corners from partsexpress before and covered it, not too hard you just use contact cement and make sure you round all the edges of the cab just a little with a belt sander beforehand. It's easy to get it looking professional. And make sure you get the threaded inserts to connect the speakers to the cabinet.

One thing that I did was take apart cabs of friends or my old ones and matched the dimensions exactly, if you have access to a 4-10 cab you may want to look into that.

good luck!