Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making my own amp cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KSDbass, May 3, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I've gotta make my own amp cab for all the speaker stuff, so Im just wondering, does the kind of wood I build it out of affect the sound? (I know how big the cab is will) thanks

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You gotta...???

To answer your question...yes, the cabinet material makes a difference.

3. Bud Bolf

Bud Bolf

Apr 17, 2005
    Hi,
    You know what would be good for you to do, is to check out the spec's of some cabs that you like. Manufactures will usually always say what their Cab is made of. I think for PA Cabs they use Birch wood. It is not cheap and usually needs to be specially ordered, but if you want a good cab for the long run, start right from the start. Like an Acoustic Guitar
    the Wood is what really is the Sound!
    If your gonna go to Home Depot and make your cab out of Sheets of Plywood, that you put on a Roof or Walls in a House. Then give it up and save yourself the Waste of time that you would surely be wasting.
    Now, if your just throwing together a El Cheapo cab to get you by until you can actually afford to get a good
    cab, then use what you want, but get the best wood that Home Depot can turn you onto.
    Bud

4. pin-drop

pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    i beleive aguilar uses 7 layers of no void mahogany ply wood. Sounds nice but it isnt super light, I doubt it would be cheap either but its worth a shot

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Plywood is fine, as long as it is no-void. However, it is a bit heavy... Make sure to avoid particle board.