making my own cabinet with a car sub driver and plywood.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kaboom, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    Mkay so i'm REALLY cheap and i wonna make my own cab, sth like a 1x12 or a 1x15. Can i just take a 15" sub and make the cab out of plywood?
    is this a recipe for disaster? what should i take into account?
  2. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    First that car subwoofers are not intended for the job and just won't work, second that you can't just stick a speaker into a box. A speaker cabinet has to be built according to the Theile/Small parameters of the woofer, and until you not only know what those are but also understand to at least some extent what they mean don't even dream about making your own speaker. Finally if you're really cheap you're better off to buy a used cab or something like a Steelsound or Avatar because you can't build cabs like those as cheap as you can buy them. You can build some really nice stuff that works a lot better than Steelsound or Avatar, better than Eden or Ampeg for that matter, but only if you're a good woodworker, there's a lot more to it than a plywood box.

3. +1.... except that it would be fun to see that woofer pop out of that box on the first note! :D
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Car sub speakers have efficiency specs that are WAY inappropriate for bass guitar amplification use. Even if it didn't sound like crap, it would make a 200 watt bass amp sound as loud as a 20 watt bass amp. Very quiet comparatively, not good. And that's aside from the fact that bass guitar reproduction requires frequencies well above the limits car sub speakers are capable of reproducing.
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Without getting too technical, understand this.........

Car subwoofers rely very heavily on what is known as cabin gain. Basically, it means that they use the interior of the car as a speaker cabinet. Without it, they're not very loud at all. In other words, when you take a car sub out of the car, even though it's still in a cabinet, it'll be useless in practically all live band situations. You probably won't be able to hear it at all next to a moderately loud drummer.

There are a few, very few, subs out there that are just barely efficient enough to be used in live sound, and you gotta hit 'em with lots of watts to get a SPL that's useable. If you're after that specific ultra-deep sound it may be worth pursuing, but if you're just looking for a bass cab that'll do a decent job for not a lot of $$$$, forget about subwoofers.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just do it. Then report back to us.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002