1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making My Own Jazz Bass Harness

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EZ9R, Nov 17, 2010.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    Sorry, if this has been asked before, but I just got some 250k audio taper Pots and want to make my a Jazz Bass (Vol. Vol. Tone) harness.
    My question is: what to do with lug #3 (far right if looking upside down)? Some people bend back the lug and solder it to itself. I'm wondering if I use 22 AWG wire and just solder it to the back of the pot would be okay? Like the same wire I'll be jumping Lug #1 with ?http://www.marshallparts.com/products/1198/Cloth-Insulated-Wire.htm. Or would copper wire be better? To solder the cable from lug #3 to the pot seems like it would be easier to use copper wire since it's stiff. I've had someone years ago make me a harness and use copper to jump lug #3 to a stereo jack's ground. I'm planning on using a mono jack.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. I prefer to use wire rather than bend the lug back.
    It's difficult to desolder later if you need to remove the pot casing.

You can use whatever kind of wire you want, it doesn't matter if it's copper or nickel.

3. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    Thx...... That's what I did was take 22 AWG cable and solder it from lug 3 to the pot instead of bending lug 3 back and solder it to itself. It looks cleaner if you can see it in the photo. Kind of a bad photo. Hard to see the cap. It's a CTS pot and I used a multimeter and it was 248 with the 20 plus minus rating.

Attached Files:

4. What about screwing us all and blaming it on the black guy?:eyebrow:

5. EZ9R

EZ9R

Oct 28, 2008
    Sorry bout that. That was a jpeg on my desktop that I put attached by accident. It said "I Screwed You All, But Thanks For Blaming the Black Guy". I can post it again, but I'm not into politics.

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    you wont be able to screw the control plate with the wire so close to the edge and bending it might break the solder joints.
    IMO, I'd rather resolder it to stick out vertically rather than horizontal.