Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making my own rack case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Antipop, May 20, 2004.

1. it came to me today... I am a welder... I have access to steel, sheet metal, welders, grinders and powder coating...

I think I should make my own rack case

is there ANYTHING I should know before doing so?

I'd likely make it from sheet metal and angle bar...

please let me know if there is something I should know NOT to do that might mess up my head and rackmounts

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know much about the construction of rack cases, but I can tell you this:

Make it sturdy, yet lightweight

Get Comfortable handles (SBK case handles hurt and therefore SUCK!!!) use the flip up kind (like Clydesdale uses).

Removable wheels are a nice add-on

A mounted power bar is nice too...and a built in custom patch ( 1 connection to rack ) will make load-ins/outs a dream.

Make it 2 rack spaces bigger and add a "Rack Drawer" (very handy for strings, batteries, yadayadayada

And finally, make me one too!

Introvox

3. hmmm I'll see how mine turns out...then maybe a buisiness

4. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Look at commercial rack cases and learn from what they do wrong:

Weight, Handles, Locks etc.

Oh by the way...don't forget to offset the handles, so when you carry it full, it stays level...

5. what about the inside where the rackmounts sit... so I cushion it? how can I make it convinient and rack friendly?

6. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    The Bottom Unit should be supported I would imagine, (I would use a 1/4" - 1/2" layer of styrofoam or rubber) and the others rest on whatever's beneath them, make sure to allow room for cooling fans, input/outputs etc.

Copy a screw-tap scheme from a clydedale case or other, most rackmounts allow for play, and the case has the screwholes exact...allow for single/double/triple plus rackmount sizes.

but I cant stress enough, make it easy on the hands and level when carrying!!!

Oh, and make the covers easy to get on & off in any temperature condition.

Make mine in black...hehehe

7. Make sure your mounting holes are precise...you wont have to thread tap them as you can get hardware kits with threaded "clips" that snap over each hole. Ive always wanted to make one with covers that have a lock on them, similar to say, Craftsman toolboxes. Just a bit of added security.
    Good Luck!

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    check out the spec's Mesa Boogie uses for their road racks. They use a spring loaded mechanism instead of the standard foam. This allows for superior ventilation, especially if you have any units in the rack (Tubes) that need good cooling. :)

9. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Put the handles in a place where the rack will BALANCE when loaded with a power amp and gear. Most racks I see have the handles set to that they are symetrical. Once you load them with gear, they are heavy on one end and harder to carry.