1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making my TH 500 sound like vintage tube...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by geekrock, Mar 25, 2013.

1. geekrock

geekrock

Feb 22, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Hey guys,

I'd like to have your take on what's the best pedal out there to try and make my Aguilar TH 500 sound like an old Hiwatt tube amp.

I know it's kinda subjective and the best way is to try it out for myself but with the number of great effects makers out there and the fact that they're not all readily available in stores, I figured that I would at least try to be pointed out in a direction or two.

Also, I still need to mess with the gain and drive settings on the amp some more but up to now, I haven't been able to get a convincing result. I find the the drive circuit cool when open pass noon when you need something dirtier but when you just want a bit of grit/break up, I think it sounds a bit flabby if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Marco

Here's a little something I found so that it can help make this less subjective.

The Hiwatt is amp # 6 in all the clips.

2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
  3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Off the top of my head, my suggestion would be the Tech 21 Leeds pedal for preamp pedals.

4. geekrock

geekrock

Feb 22, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Owned a VT Bass 1st generation in the past, didn't like it all that much. Don't know if the leeds would feel the same.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I bought one if our guitarists a Leeds for his birthday, it is very different than the VT. It really cops the overtones and the breakup of the Hiwatts but to get the full effect I'd imagine you'd have to use it with a very high quality powerful SS amp or go straight to FOH with it through an excellent PA. It's a nice pedal and sounds great with bass, I found the low end acceptable to, but how much depth and solidity you get down there will again depend on your amplification.

6. geekrock

geekrock

Feb 22, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    I will check it out then.

7. geekrock

geekrock

Feb 22, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    After tweaking a bit more with the amp, I find that the tubiness is already there. All I need is something to add a bit of breakup.

Anybody here experimented with the Xotic BB and Fairfield Barbershop on a TH?

Any other suggestions?

8. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    The tubiness is definitely there. Mess with the gain and drive knobs to induce some breakup.

9. geekrock

geekrock

Feb 22, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    I already did. I find that the drive circuit sounds good when you want something "Lemmy-ish" but I find it a bit to loose when you want just a bit of breakup.

10. The Barbershop sounds HEAVENLY with the TH. I probably shouldn't have traded away the pedal (GAS got the better of me on that one), but I will be getting another to run into my TH amp. I agree that there is a lot of "tube" quality to the TH already there - I actually wish there was a two channel version of it, because I think I could set up the "dirty/breakup" sound I need sometimes just on the amp if only there was a way to quickly switch back and forth between the two. That said, the Tone Hammer pedal might not be a bad idea, although its also more expensive and kind of overkill, when the Barbershop is 2/3 the price and has this incredible creamy transparent grit to it.

Gahhhh!!! I need a Barbershop again!!!