1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making my VT Bass into my full time amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Mar 18, 2009.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I really love my VT Bass sound and was wondering if anyone has any insight on making it my main amp setup. I was thinking about getting rid of my GK 700RBII/115 NEO and stop going into the Effects Return. Ideas I had:

Bass>VT Bass>Presonus Tube Pre>Powered Monitor

Bass>VT Bass>Presonus Tube Pre>Power Amp>Bass Cab

Bass>VT Bass>Power Amp Cab

Help me figure out how to make this into a viable gigging setup. I am not sure the Presonus Tube Pre will work as a direct box but I am wanting the VT Bass to essentially work like the BDDI in the way that I can send one line to my monitor/amp and the other to the main.

2. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Actually, many TB members have reported that the VT Bass can drive a power amp satisfactorilly... so unless you really need the Presonus I wouldn't even bother.

Just go VT Bass > Power Amp > Cabinet

:bassist:

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    You may wish to hang on to your GK as a fall-back (in case your VT Bass is accidentally broken or lost) and wait until Tech 21 releases a new version which incorporates the features of (preferably) the Programmable Bass DI. Then your current VT could act as a back up.

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Good Idea...it has to be coming soon.

5. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, the only thing I need is the DI for the FOH sound like the BDDI has. Looking for way to incorporate that as well.

6. I'd keep the presonus in for the DI. Just make sure not to have the level too high on your VT :)

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Set it up Bass > BDDI > VT Bass ...

The FOH speakers will be so different from your bass cab that they may not even be faithful to the BDDI tone anyway. So putting a lot of effort into a perfect FOH tone may not be worthwhile...especially if you don't travel with your own FOH equipment and engineer.

As for powered cabs, there are few made for bass. Plus they weigh a lot: you've got to carry both cab and amp at once, like a combo. And if you tire of the tone, you've got a lot invested.

A separate cab and power amp are easier to carry, easier to buy, and more flexible if you want to make changes.

8. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO

I like your line of thought. I already have a programmable BDDI which I like as well but the VT Bass has bit more character IMHO. I will try that out and see how it works. Is plugging into the Effects Return for a full time rig worthwhile or am I better off just trading my GK for a power amp?

The other thing I had in the back of my mind since it seems a bit simpler is that I could just pickup a Mesa Walkabout for stage use and save the VT for practice and recording.

I hope they come out with a VT Bass that is like the BDDI.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Either way works, but having the full GK head is nice when you just need to go the simple route.

Another reasonable solution too.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The VT makes huge tonal changes with small adjustments, so while it can be done, it's a little tough to tweak on the fly.

11. I would go; Bass>VT Bass>DI>Power Amp>Cab or stay with current setup but experiment with going into the gk's preamp; Bass>VT Bass>GK/115 (going into the effects return yields a sound that is still colored, I have a poweramp so I've compared them and I found that the preamp of the GK can be made to sound more neutral to compliment the VT.