Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making my warwicks passive?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Oct 10, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well, i really don't like how my MEC preamps sound. i love how the bass sounds in passive mode, but i'd like to have some tone controls as well without the bass sounding crappy. plus both my volume pots are going down slowly. one i can spin infinitely in both directions, the other hums. these pots are 40 bucks from warwick...i don't freaking think so.

so, here are my questions:

the MEC's are active pickups, so what rating do i need for volume pots?

i'd really rather have volume, blend, tone on the thumb, but is V - V - T better in some way?

with proper grounding and shielding, it'd be just as quiet/quieter as the passive mode is now, right?

on the ss2, which has four knobs, what should i do for the 4th knob? can i have tone controls with different frequency ranges? or should i do a tone control for each pickup?

thanks in advance

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    do you need a cheering section to plop down the money on a couple u-retro pre-'s? you KNOW you want one.

3. I'm really leaning twoards this setup....more precise control of the P/U's. If you have a blend knob, then you always have a total of 100

50 Front , 50 Rear = 100

40 Front , 60 Rear = 100

Etc.

But if you have V - V, you can only cut as much as you want....letting you hit a "Sweet Spot" where only some harmonics are cut out and others may be boosted.

100 Front , 100 Rear

75 Front , 100 Rear

100 Front, 10 Rear

Etc.

Oh, and just go get a basslines Preamp package if you replace the Preamp :) Depends on how "In your face" you want the thing. That second "slap" contour option onboard can take a big silly jump. But in a good way....very cool. I've got it in 2 basses.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

SHUT UP!

:mad:

NO!

NO NO NO NO NO!

i have so much other stuff i NEED before i get a new preamp for my bass, especially one that expensive. but i WILL get one for both basses. probably after my birthday in february.