1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making nice with new neighbors (moving the band)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Absentia, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Hiya everybody.
    So we are moving the practice space to the basement of my new house. We play in a pretty loud metal band and I need a few Ideas how to make nice with the neighbors and have them not call the police if we get too loud.
    We only practice once or twice a week at a regular time for about 2 hours.
    Any ideas how I can win them over? (old polish folk)

Also any Ideas how to cut down on the sound coming out of the basement?
    Right now there's one big room with paneling 2" away from the walls (now insulation) and glass block windows. The ceiling is bare rafters.

2. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's all going to depend on the neighbors. I can only wish you the best of luck.

4. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    also, be the one to bring it up with them, not the other way around, if you see them in passing ask them if it was too loud - much better that way than them bottling up their rage for you over a few months and then going postal.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    +1...

I would march right over and be as nice as possible and make an effort to get to know them (ok I know that sounds weird...) as a neighbor, then bring it up. Its much harder to be mad (or call the cops on) someone you are friends with.

6. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Yeah I'm definitely picking up a few fruit baskets or something and formally introducing myself and my wife.
    I was also going to explain the situation and giving them everyone's phone number to call and yell at us if they need to. I think it's a good plan just wanted to see what other people have done.

7. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
  8. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Rehearsal just plain, flat out, does not have to be loud. Ever. If you are having a loud rehearsal you have to look at the attitude and maturity of your players.

Turn down or get small practice gear.

Get some old sleeping bags from the thrift store and hang them on the walls. Throw them over the amps if you have to.

Put the amps up off the floor to eliminate any floor coupling.

Don't go too late.

Find an old couch out by the road. Undercover of darkness, attack it and remove the foam from the seat cushions, leaving the carcass for others to deal with. Leave as silently as you came.

9. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    +1 on not needing to play loud, no reason to go deaf in a practice, if need be have the drummer get some of those rubber deals to mute his drums a bit.

10. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    You don't need TheSound™ for rehearsal. You're just trying to hit the right notes at the right time

11. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I've been barking up that tree for a while they seem to think they need to be loud to sound good. We used to be more quiet but for some reason we are micing our drummer at practices to hear him at this point...

So plan
    step one: Make friends with the neighbors

Step two: Kick bandmates in the head

Step three: insulate

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I think these are really good steps. There are also many cheap ways to knock down the sound. Look for ideas on DIY acoustical treatment and sound dampening.

The Auralex type foam stuff is not for sound "proofing". It is (as said before) acoustical treatment for "tuning" a room for proper response as in a control room to hear the monitors properly.

You want stuff to absorb as much sound as you can.

Plus, you guys really need to turn down if you have to mic the drums just to hear them. You won't be hearing anything in a few years if you keep that up.

Good luck! :bassist:

13. ColdSteelRain

ColdSteelRain

Jul 27, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    +1 on meeting the neighbors first, and letting them know when you'll be rehearsing. If any of them have babies or little kids, run daycare in their homes, work nights, etc., see if you can work out a time that's best for all.

Once you're set up, have someone not in the band take a walk around the house while you practice and see just how loud it is from outside.

It might be a good idea to find out what the local ordinances are regarding disturbing the peace.

For cheap soundproofing, see if you can get any cubicle partitions that are being thrown out or auctioned off.

I'd guess the unfinished ceiling is going to be the biggest problem, and you'll probably need at least one layer of sheetrock on it, if not two. There should be less problem with walls that are mostly buried.

14. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    You could try to mic EVERYTHING at low volumes (or even go through Pod-type things), and have everyone wear headphones. Then they could be a "loud" as they want without too much outside noise. The only loud noise will be drums. You can put blankets up around the kit to deaden the volume.

15. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    get scrap sheets of duct board (used to make heating ducts) wrap in some apolstrey fabric..

easy cheap and done

16. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I've found that practicing at a low volume works a lot better because you can really hear what you are playing and how everything works or doesn't together. There is just no way you can hear everything well cranked in a basement.

My last band was pretty heavy, when I finally got everybody to turn it down a notch, I noticed a large improvement in how tight we were.

17. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    the cubical partitions interest me since my company is doing alot of work this summer and will be getting rid of alot of cubicals.

how would you suggest using them?

18. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant

put them around the drummer so u dont have to see him

19. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    wouldn't the main purpose of that so he can throw sticks at me?