1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making Nolly “Getgood”tone with B7K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Episode, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Episode

Episode

Nov 30, 2017
    I heard many djent bassists use Fractal Audio AXE Fx series effector, and Nolly(was member of Periphery) also.

But I have only B7K with B3 multieffector. No Axe fx.

Is it possible for me to make Nolly’s drive tone without axe? I wonder that Nolly’s tone is made without axe-fx

(My setting is (B3)Compressor > (B3)Mark amp simul > (B3)Reverb > B7K

2. You didn't mention the bass and strings you're using. Strings are a huge part of that tone.

3. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Instrument setup would be a huge part in that tone : you want low action so that the strings buzz a bit when you pluck them. Combine that with a heavy pick attack and you'll get closer. Then come effects :)

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Dingwall + Darkglass will get you a Nolly like tone.

If you haven't seen this video yet, check it out:

5. Episode

Episode

Nov 30, 2017
    I’m using Sterling Ray35 / Elixir strings. I dint know strings are huge part of Nolly tone. Thank you for tips!

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Try using the Thin setting on the Grunt switch. I know, the concept of cutting bass freqs tends not to compute, but on the B7K it cuts lows before the overdrive circuit, which focuses distortion on mids and highs, and this really "tightens up" your tone IMO. I restore lows using the Bass EQ knob, which is post-OD. The end result is cleaner bass, dirtier mids and highs. Note that another result of the Thin setting is that you won't get as much distortion out of the B7K -- that's OK with me because I use it as a lower-gain OD, and when I want more crunch I stack another distortion pedal into it, but you might want more crunch. Doesn't hurt to give it a try, though.

pbass6811 likes this.
  7. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    I use a Dingwall NG2 will Kalium strings into a B7K to get a similar tone. Grunt on Raw, attack on boost. Low mids at 3:00, high miss slightly boosted. Bass flat and a slight cut on treble to take away harshness. Blend at 3:00, drive at 2:00, gain set to balance volume with dry tone. You might need to play with the B7K eq settings depending on your amp. The stingray signal is pretty bright and hot, if you can't get the Kalium strings go with your favorite brand in stainless rounds. A thin pick will help tame some of the harshness as well. Play with an agressive attack so the strings are hitting the frets. Pick a good comp setting in the B3 as well, maybe a multiband to control the highs a bit but just a bit of peak limiting on the lows. I would forget the reverb on your distorted tone at first. If you want reverb, try dialing it in after you are happy with main tone. Post here or pm me with any questions about my setup or Nolly tone chasing and I will do my best to help you out!

8. Episode

Episode

Nov 30, 2017
    Thank you for sharing your settings! Those are what I found. I'll try it ;)