1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

making non switchable verb switchable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Apr 16, 2009.

1. this thread does not involve a bass amp, but i felt it would be best placed in amps because i dont feel ill get the right answers in misc.

i have a peavey valveking combo amp that has a spring reverb tank in it. most peaveys come with a switching option, but mine does not. i already emailed peavey and a master switch maker about this and got no response at all.

my theory is that if i could place a bypass in the send wire before the tank to short it straight to the return, i could have switchable verb. i dont have the kind of money to be cutting on my amp.. so im asking you folks first.

i know id have to wire quarter inch connectors on to a few wires, but im comfortable with that, and if push comes to shove, i can easily change it back.

im not 100% sure how id run the cables cleanly to my board and back.. but i feel like im going to have to make a snake, given my that ive already got an effects loop line.

any thoughts? im for anything to get this reverb switchable without having to buy a seperate reverb pedal or something.

2. Hi.

If it has the normal tank with the RCA connectors, just make a separate switcher box somewhere on the back of the amp and include the manual switch and the footswitch jack to the box.

Whether the reverb line is open or shorted during the bypass depends of the design. I'd guess open.

Regards
    Sam

3. there are RCA's. its not with me at the moment, so all other details are from memory.

im not sure i follow the rest though. mind clarifying?

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi sonic assassin.

Exactly which model of Peavey ValveKing combo do you have? The ValveKingĀ® 212 Combo, or the ValveKingĀ® 112 Combo?

I'm not a tech, but I expect that these all-tube amps would have a tubes driving their reverb circuits.

Perhaps it'd be best if you downloaded your amp's user manual (a service manual would be better) and had a look at your rig's BLOCK diagram to ascertain the nature of it's reverb signal path before you attempt any bypass procedure.

--------

A 'plan B' reverb option: Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Emulator (it'll run off a 9 volt battery)

5. Hi.

You don't have to alter the original circuitry in any way if you don't wish to do so.

Just build the circuitry into a box with two female RCAs for the original reverb lines and two leads with RCA males to connect to the tank. Any switches, jacks etc. can then be mounted on the box as well.

A neat bonus would be another FX line if You adjust the levels a bit. If the reverb is tube driven, it opens other options as well.

Just remember to use shielded cables as the reverb lines (especially return) tend to pick up interference.

Regards
    Sam

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Shorted, open will invite noise. The best way is to install a relay in the amp, mechanical or SS, and use the switch to control it. Running the signal through a wire to a remote switch is also a potential noise source.

7. well peavey finally got back to me. they cant help, because it is company policy not to advise modifications of any sort. they dont have time to test these things.. blah blah blah.

so no help from them.

its the 2x12 combo

the way you guys are talking, this isnt going to be as easy as i made it sound in my head..

8. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You can't do it to a verb, but you can do it to a noun.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You'll get better reverb with a lot less effort from an effects pedal.

10. i want spring reverb. and theres no sense letting the verb tank in the amp go to waste.

can you find a spring reverb tank for less than a couple switches and wires? dont think so.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    But you need knowledge - all the answers are above - but you can't understand.

It's going to cost you more in time to gain that knowledge that to go out and buy a solution.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The major advantage of an old spring reverb is that you can beat on it to get psychedelic whiplash sounds for epic song intros, man ; }

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Simply put a foot switch that shorts out the return and your reverb will reverb no more. Well as long as the foot switch is closed.

Paul