Making nut and bridge grooves smaller

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by valere, Nov 22, 2021.

1. valere

valere

Nov 9, 2021
    Hi,

I recently bought a bass that was fitted with D and G gut strings.

It looks like the previous owner had the D and G string grooves widened on the nut and the bridge to accommodate the thicker gut strings.

I would like to change the strings to all metal strings (Spirocore Weich) and therefore would ideally want the bridge and nut grooves to be smaller.

Is there a way to do this that does not require a new nut and bridge? I know guitar nuts and bridge can be adjusted with a mixture of superglue and bone dust or baking soda. Would something like that work on double bass?

Thanks,

Valere

djc03006 likes this.
  2. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Superglue and ebony (or rosewood, depending on the nut material) dust.

3. valere

valere

Nov 9, 2021
    I suspected that would work. Thanks.

4. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Try a small patches of leather under each string, or thick parchment,. If your bass is bright to begin with, you might like how this tames the edginess of spiros. Thicker synthetic strings might want those wider slots later.

dhergert likes this.
  5. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    ^This^

Plus, if your nut and bridge grooves are properly half-round, the strings will seat in them properly as a result of string tension without having to fill the groves. Then you can go back and forth between thick (synthetic or gut) and thin (metal/metal core) strings without modifications.

6. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Meaning that the bottom of the slots are as low as any strings can go regardless of thickness. However, leather and parchment will raise the strings as well as bushing their width in the grooves.

Chris Fitzgerald and dhergert like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022