Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making of a cd

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by whitehouse, Jun 27, 2002.

1. I am currently buzy with making my own cd (with my bro-in law) ...
    the stuff he uses :

1 x Terratec EWX88MT in and outputs
    1 x Yamaha DX7 (?) Synthesizer
    1 x yamaha (?) stage piano
    1 x behringer eurorack (16 channel)
    1 x a good mic. :D
    1 x his puter :p
    1 x me
    1 x normal amp for normal hifi use
    2 x Sony hifi speakers

me uses :
    1 x Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman 5
    1 x Warwick Sweet 15 (optional)
    1 x Yamaha Trumpet (yess)

we are still beginners, as you can see when you read further ...
    yesterday, we were ready with one song.
    My bro uses Cubase 5 for his stuff (midi and more)
    so we were ready to make a mixdown.
    after this mixdown, we used the burning-program NERO to burn the Mixdown.WAV on a cd as normal audio track.
    when we where ready, we went downstairs, put the cd in the hifi-set, and pressed play.
    We scared the **** out of us, when we heard one big hizzzzzz...the first sec. you heard the synthesizer of my bro, and after that 'hissszzzsszzszs' ...

what went wrong ?
    ow yes .. one little question... ow much bit is midi ??

as you can see .. amatures :D

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know what went wrong with your burning. What I do know is that MIDI isn't measured in "bits", for it is not audio per se. It is simply data, which can be transferred to a synthesizer, which then will trigger sounds out of the given data. You have to capture the synthesizer's output to a new audio track in order to be able to have it in the mixdown and burn it on the CD.

3. we did that ..
    here is the mixdown - preset we used :

Resolution 16 Bit
    Sample Rate 44.100 kHz

but we can do much higher though ..

what is normal for an audio-cd ?
    24Bit 96.000kHz ??

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Audio CD's are 16/44.1.

Have you played the mixed down file before burning it? Did it sound alright there? Have you tried burning it a second time? For best results, burn no faster than 2x.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    24 bits increase the "vertical" resolution of a wave (in lack of a better term, which I don't know). A 16 bit wave has a vertical resolution of 65,536 steps (2^16) while a 24 bit file has a resolution of 16,777,216 steps (2^24). When applying DSP (effects, fader volume changes, etc) to a wave, there is always rounding errors involved, which would make a once even and nice wave a bit more "square-y". With 16 bit files, the rounding errors can easily be heard by a trained ear, while even trained ears have a hard time picking up the degradation of a 24-bit file + DSP. So, in general, if you're going to do ANY kind of processing to the signal, in the end 24 bits will most likely give you a higher quality signal than 16 bits. That is not saying that 24 bits sounds "better" in all cases... only "truer".

Higher sample rates than 44.1 kHz aren't necessary for home recorders at all. They aren't worth the extra CPU and disk load. With a high quality setup, especially if you do your mixing with a nice, expensive mixer, a sample rate higher than 96 kHz could be beneficial when converting from digital to analog before going into the mixer. But generally, to make CD audio, you will still need to resample down to 44.1 kHz, and this will give you even more rounding errors. So it's not really worth it. Audiophiles may disagree.

6. s it is better to apply the efects over the 24 bits and THEN make 16 out of 24 ??