Making pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 12, 2002.

1. I have a Yamaha BB5000 fretless, the electronics of which I plan to completely overhaul. Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of a pair of Bartolini M55 or EMG45 soapbars. In order to do this, I will have to do a lot of routing, and the existing P-style neck pickup rout will need to be covered up. So, I'm gonna have a custom pickguard made.

My question is this: how do I go about making the tracing? I want the pickguard to wrap around the end of the fingerboard and expose the truss rod adjuster, and have a hole cut out for an EMG45-sized soapbar.

How should I go about transferring the shape of the end of the fingerboard onto the tracing I'd send to WD to get the pickguard made?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    With the neck off, lay a piece of paper over the area, and mark the position of the edges of the neck pocket, then once you have good guide lines, take the paper off, and lay the neck on the paper using the edge marks for alignment, and trace around it.

If nothing else, make the space too small, and modify the pickgaurd once it comes in to make the hole bigger.

3. It's a neck-through. That makes removing the neck a bit tricky ;)