Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making scales more interesting

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by burntgorilla, Aug 31, 2005.

1. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've managed to memorise the steps in each of the major modes, which is a step up from just knowing a pattern for each, and to expand this, I'm trying to play each mode all over the fretboard in every key, which is a bit tricky, especially when you get to the keys with lots of accidentals and the odder modes. My problem is though, that it's just so damn boring. I want to be able to play any scale from any starting point at any part of the neck, because I feel that ultimately, that'll be useful. But it's just so dull, trying to remember what accidentals are in the mode, and then working out what notes in the key become naturalised, etc etc. I'm trying to think of an interesting way of doing it, but it's trying to strike a balance between actively working on the scales and just noodling around that's hard. What slightly more interesting ways of doing it are there? Is my goal a bit ambitious, or should I stick at it?

And lastly, as a side note, what keys are "odd"? I remember reading that someone said "Miles Davis liked to play in odd keys, like Bb." Now, since pretty much every key sounds rather like the rest to me, I've never noticed anything standout about Bb. Is it just a personal thing?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Perhaps it's time to play some music, unless you're practicing scales to play in a ensemble that plays scales. :D

Seriously, if you want to get something more musical under your fingers you need to practice playing music not playing scales, especially since you already know them.

3. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I think I'm having trouble bridging the gap between having the tools to make music, and actually making it, which I regard as a pretty big gap to step across. I'm trying to find some chord charts to try and play. I had a fake book, but I lent it to a friend, so I'm trying to get some off the net.