1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making stickers on a bass permanent

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Jun 28, 2014.

1. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Supporting Member

Got a worthless bass that I love dearly.

Got a whole bunch of stickers from my favorite local breweries.

Want to cover the whole thing in stickers in such a way that it will be a permanent "finish".

What's a good way to do this?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Stick them on and cover it with a clear finish?

hover likes this.
  3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh Mongo, that'll never work!
    You and your crazy logic.

That said, you get WAY more mojo points if you just stick them on and let them get all funked over time. Just ask Flea.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If they are stickers, slap those puppies on and rock it. If the edges start to lift, a little thin CA, just enough to hold the dog ear down and rock it some more.

5. fretlessman71

CA.... meaning superglue?

6. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Sorry, I keep forgetting I'm not always talking to r/c hobbyists, but yes, some thin superglue.

And FYI, superglue is one of many brand names for various cyanoacrylate compound glues and some are much better than others.

7. fretlessman71

Yeah, like Kleenex. I got it. :)

Next question: How to get a sticker to tolerate the convex and concave curves of a bass without tearing or folding or bubbling?

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Place one ens of the sticker down, and gradually smooth it out flat upon the surface. There's only so much you can do for more complex surface conditions like the inner curves of body horns.. you either fold it or cut it.

9. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Only use the vinyl stickers for those areas. Start them then warm then up with a heat gun and they should lay out nicely on the outside curves. On the inside curves you may have to live with a little wrinkling or do s little trimming to avoid wrinkles. To avoid bubbling, put a tiny bit of window cleaner on the sticker back, then start it at one corner and work it down. If you happen to catch some bubbles, the window cleaner will allow you to either push the bubble to the edge and out, or lift the sticker and try again without compromising the glue. If all else fails, take a straight pin and punch a hole in the middle of the bubble to let the air out and rub it flat. If you use window cleaner give it plenty of time to dry before you put any real pressure on the sticker or it might slip.

Save the paper stickers for the big flat areas.

A very handy tool for sticker supplication is an old credit card. Use the edge to push the stickers down and push bubbles out. The corner works great for burnishing down tight areas.

10. Are you planning on completely covering it or just putting them here and there? either way, leaving them on without a clear coat still looks cool. (Stickers can look cool on basses even though its frowned upon here, but I usually just put them on my cheapies)

11. fretlessman71

I expect to cover the entire painted body (not the pickguard - it's an SX J-bass copy) with stickers. I'm going for the "label collage" look. :)