Making Strings Sound Even

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Jun 2, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Here's the problem... my B string on my EB-MM SR5 is significantly louder than the rest of the strings. Is there a way to remedy this?

I don't want to raise the string and therefore kill the action on the B.

I'd consider lowering the pickup, but then the E and A strings would also start to quiet down, which i'm not wanting.

Or do i just need to work on my technique and not pound on the B string as hard as i do on the other 4?

Or should i get a larger, smaller, or taperwound B-string? I'm currently using Dean Markeley Blue steels, and the B is .130 i think.

If i just EQ out the bass frequencies, the other strings sound too thin AND the B is still louder than them.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i can think of solutions that cover every forum in the website, and i don't know which is the correct answer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    1) truss rod

2) nut

3) (most likely) Pick-ups
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds like more of a Setup issue. I am moving it down there.;)
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
  5. My B string is louder, in a way. The bass frequencies coming out of it are lower, of greater amplitude and have a longer wavelength. So the increased volume could be because the wavelength is hitting the other side of the room and bouncing back, making it louder. eh far fetched but these things happen!

Try lowering one side of your pickup slightly just under the B. Or try raising the saddle of the B on the side closest to the E so it tilts slightly away from E the etc.

6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This doesn't necessarily relate to sound, but the best way to get the strings *feeling* even is to ensure that the saddle heights follow the radius of the fretboard. Keeping them at the same height will have the effect of putting the D and A closer to the fretboard and making them sound a little tinnier than the E and G.
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    its an Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray 5

or EB MM SR-5, sorry for the confusing shorthand.
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    My guess is that you play really hard! And if this is your first five string you might not be use to the b! When i teach bass lessons i see alot of guys come in that pound the strings! And most of the time because of hand positions and playing hard the e string on a four string will be much louder than the rest of the strings! It might just take some getting some play time in! Try to play all of them smooth!
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Now you all will see why G&L are trully superior instruments!

Leo knew he had a problem with his design, thats why he created G&L's with adjustable pole pieces.

Now I propose my solution...
    BUY G&L!!!!!!!

Sorry, its just that untill now I hadnt had the chance to gloat that my bass had adjustable pole pieces. They came pre-adjusted from the factory, so I never even had the chance to mess with it.

Maybe you could file down the pole pieces?