Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jtimms, Dec 28, 2004.

1. jtimms

jtimms

Oct 1, 2004
    What's involved?

Piano string makers do it by hand, so why can't bass players?

Thanks,

Jason

2. bass1

bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    DR...the handmade string.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    String making is a highly mechanized affair. There may be
    some human element involved in the process, but it's limited.
    Here's what they make them on:

Slug

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have one sitting in my basement largely unused, anyone is welcome to it to make their own strings anytime they like. :eyebrow:

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy doing :eyebrow:

That thing must have been expensive, no?

6. jtimms

jtimms

Oct 1, 2004
    Thanks for the pic of the machine. I've never seen one.

I wonder if other types of material would work and be possible to construct without machinery like the one here.

Bow makers (the archery kind), can make their own strings. Washtub bass players use clothes line cables and weed wacker plastic strands (but have to use gloves to play.)

Since I would like to adapt single ball strings to double ball ends, wouldn't it be possible to manually put a ball on the loose end?

Any possibilities?

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I seriously doubt it. The ball-ends are attached to the core wire, and the windings have to be anchored as well, so that they don't unravel.

Also, if you go to the Fodera website, I think you can see some pics of the machines they wind their strings on.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Hambone, that's very cool. I'd like to understand more about how it works.

9. I can't name a single reason i would wanna do that... wait... there is , to be as one with the bass. Other than that, making your own strings would be a waste of time, money maybe, and the possiblity of ending up with strings that fall apart is there. with the large variety of strings there are in the market today - that have different tonal characteristics to choose from, once again i don't see a reason.

Y do u wanna make strings anyway?