Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making the amp sound more punchy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danqi, Dec 29, 2001.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    My amp does not sound quote right. I somehow feel it should be standing with its back to a wall but unfortunately I do not have any free wall space. It just needs to sound a little punchier.
    Do you have any ideas what could make my amp sound better? Should I place it higher? Or maybe upside down?;)
    By the way: I got a Hughes & Kettner Bassforce 100W combo.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bearing in mind that one mans punchy is another's warm...

A trick I picked up from Matthias is to boost the mids. Most bassists dont so try it.

Also what works solo dont always in a mix so experiment.

Hopefully another TBer will know what punchy is.

3. i boost the mids and raise the volume

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    put an aluminum speaker in it.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    First off, I don't know what you understand as 'punchy'.
    For me this means 'quick response' and a serious 'kick' or 'attack' in the low-mid range (120-200Hz)

Honestly I doubt that there is a way to change this with your amp, because:

- I guess the 'mid' knob affects a higher frequency band than you need (500-800Hz) => no punch here

- placing the amp near a wall or in a corner will boost (very) low frequencies and can easily make you sound 'muddy' => no punch here either

However you should really try to leave the bass knob flat or even turn it down a little.

And apart from your amp:
    How old are your strings? Old strings sound undefined, dull and 'not-punchy'.
    You can also try to pluck the strings closer to the bridge.

And for your next amp you might consider 10" (or 12") speakers.... And meanwhile you could try out an EQ-pedal.

But as I said before, I don't think that twisting the knobs on your amp or even the amp itself will help...

Matthias

6. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    With "punchy" I meant less flat. You know when a drummer's bassdrum sounds like a cardbox? That's what I understand as "flat".
    I turned up the mids but it really did not help much.
    My strings are just a couple of days old, by the way.
    I just thought one of you would know some cool selfmademan trick.