1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

making the leap to a 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rainbownorth, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hey guys,
    Gotta fairly standard question with some limiters on it.

Im thinking about making the leap to a 5 string sometime soon. Money dependant of course. Im left handed and I live in New Zealand.

The relevance of those last 2 points is that our range of basses here is fairly limited, and even more so for lefties. Put it this way: my local music store has ONE (I repeat ONE) lefty bass in store, and its an entry level 4 string.

All that aside, I'm looking for a bass with a nice fat tone, I guess comfort while playing is most important to me, as I am one really short midgety bastard. I already own a warwick 4 string and a cort action with flats, both of which are reasonably comfortable. Id sell the cort though if needed. I play rock, metal, maybe a little funk.

So any suggestions what sorta bass would work for me? Fairly limited question I know but any help is appreciated.

2. Get a Yamaha BB415 if you want passive & 425 if you want active.

If you want more expensive, there's a big range in Yamaha. They don't make poor instruments.

3. Thanks Jeff :) Ill see what I can find. Be nice to try before buy but who can say whether thats even an option in NZ. Mostly warwicks and fenders here, not much else available really.

4. Quick update - gonna be pretty hard to get my hands on a yamaha even for a test run. :( my local has warwicks, fenders, musicmen, ibanez's, thats pretty much the lot.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    can't go wrong with a musicman. spacing on a 5 is tighter than a 4 but they are great basses!

6. Thanks :)

I'd love to try one and see how it is but my local has a "you order it in from another store you buy it" policy. Well see what happens there. I'm not too worried about string spacing, I got tiny hands anyway so that's probably more of a plus than anything.

7. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    [​IMG]

Just sayin'.

Might have to get a custom nut.

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Stingray 5 owner chiming in here.
    I'll say that the string spacing on the SR5's is a little tighter than I was used to at first (being that I moved from a super wide spacing Jazz bass with a Badass bridge). However, I became used to the spacing almost immediately, and loved how much easier it was to reach the strings. It did take a while to get used to the extra string, and also the neck profile, but now it's my main bass. The problem now is when I pick up my old Jazz again. I keep thinking that the A string is the E string, and wonder why the neck is so skinny and small (feels almost like a guitar neck in comparison).

9. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat

Feb 16, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Theres been alot a lefty warwick 5's on ebay lately really cheap, too. Maybe a double buck would get a nice fat tone, and they are comfortable to boot as you prob already know.

10. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    If you play guitar also, narrower string spacing may work well. If you're used to playing standard 4 string basses, the wider string spacing may feel more normal.

11. Well as I already have a warwick 4 I'd be looking for some variation, so until I've tried one out for sure my preference would be for a stingray atm. Either way it's all academic till I have...well, lots of money anyway.

I do like the idea of smaller string spacings...what's the weight like on a stingray?

12. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    They're generally not light. I think my 5'er is upwards of 11lbs. They can be light, but it's rare (IME) to find that is shy of 9-10lbs.

13. Well, I guess it's something to think about. I can deal with a bit more weight for the right bass.

14. 77stingray

77stingray

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    I have small hands and I love my ibanez - sr405. If u can find a used lefty it would be cheap. I would like to upgrade my pickups though (Bart mk1 a little muddy).the string spacing is Tight, which is great for small hands and itbis extremely light and comfortable. I think feel wise the sr405 is very simillar to a stingray 5, with the stingray being heavier and more expensive, but overall a higher quality, better sounding bass. Given it is you first stab at 5 strings, ibanez may be smarter money wise. :)

15. 77stingray

77stingray

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Correction: it is the ibanezSR 505 !!!

16. That's not a bad thought....thanks :)

17. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    You mentioned your local shop had Fenders, have you tried any of them? Or are they "we order, you buy" as well? I hear from others that Fender makes better 4-stringers than 5-stringers, I dunno how much truth there is to that, though.

18. Well, yeah I have...last time I saw a lefty in there was years ago. Fender jazz and it wasn't for me. Tone was WAY too bright. And it weighed a ton.

Which I would put up with for the right bass but a fender jazz ain't it. I'm not even sure if lefty p-basses exist to be honest. I await correction on that account if anyone knows otherwise.