Making the move to Earthquaker Devices (Fuzz/OD)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jd_watt, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi All,

I'm just wondering who's using an Earthquaker Devices fuzz/OD, which model, and how it sounds with your bass. I'm not in a great position to demo many pedals. I'm primarily looking for something that has a lot of punch and some mid-heavy kick. I'm already using a Pickle Pie B for my wooly fuzz tones and a Darkglass VMT for slight breakup. I'm looking for a pedal that can sit in between. I'd love to add an Earthquaker Devices pedal to my board. They're sounding killer on Juan Alderete's Pedals and Effects!

mattbass6945 likes this.
  2. I wouldn't focus so much on a particular brand.

3. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    I like almost everything I hear coming out of this company, so I'd like to get some first hand testimonials from tb users, thanks.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hmm...I love Earthquaker but I think maybe what you're looking for is not really their strong point. Maybe look at the Monarch and see if that will work for you. The Talons is not a good pedal for bass.

I've used a few other EQD Pedals in the past, like the Depths, Arpanoid, Organizer, Warden, etc...and they are all phenomenal. Not overdrives though. Based on my experiment with the Talons I never tried the Monarch so maybe look into it.

However, I'd take a Hoof over a Pickle Pie any day of the week, so maybe go that route?

5. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hey Bongo, thanks for the reply! I've been wondering about the Monarch. I also found a post with a few clips in an earlier search. It was sounding pretty sweet. They definitely seem to lean toward fuzz, no doubt. I wondered if one of those might get down into lower gain territory too. I also heard a clip of the Sound Shank. Killer pedal there as well!

6. I owned a Hoof fuzz - and it was 'almost' great. Clean blend would have made it a winner for me. The Cloven Hoof might be better on bass - but it's limited edition.

I have the Organizer - and while it's kind of cool, there is a noticeable lag before the octaves hit. Not super long, but noticeable, even with the lag turned all the way down. Bass Whammy and MicroPog do the job near-instantly. The Organizer has the choir sound, which is pretty interesting.

The company does make some great pedals. Can't fault construction quality or execution of the sounds they're trying to execute.

jd_watt likes this.
  7. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    I watched a Juan vid of OD's and from what I remember The Monarch was the best sounding OD they had. I'd consider buying one even. As far as some of the other pedals though I find it extremely disappointing that for the price they don't include tap tempo's with their delay's or trem's. Just my opinion though.

jd_watt likes this.
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    The Monarch sounds good but it does cut the deep lows which may or may not be an issue. FWIW I found the new edition SFT to sound very similar with slightly better low end. But Earthquaker don't really do any (many?) bass specific pedals so I wouldn't concentrate on only looking at pedals from that brand. The Speaker Cranker is cool on bass though!

jd_watt likes this.
  9. I like the Monarch a lot. I personally didn't notice too much low end loss, and I didn't have the bass control knob cranked either. But when I sold mine the guy who bought it had it modded by @johnk_10.

As far as fuzz, the Cloven Hoof is very promising. And as far as I know it's not limited, but the color ways at Chicago Music Exchange definitely are. And I'm waiting to hear some clips of the new Fuzz Master General on bass. Sounds pretty cool though.

jd_watt likes this.
  10. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    Get a cloven hoof. Always wanted to try one. I've never tried any of EQD dirt pedals but I have use the Sea Machine, and Afterneath. I have the Rainbow Machine too now.

11. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida

I own the Monarch and its great. I personally like to put it before modulation pedals. You already have a fuzz but I also recently picked up the Terminal fuzz which is the opposite of "wooly fuzz" Its more of a sputtery gated sound

EQD actually have alot of options for dirt:

White Light OD - EQD's take on the DOD250 but with some added controls. This will probably be my next EQD purchase.
    Tone Reaper Fuzz - Vintage fuzz EQD says its good for bass as well.
    Talons High Gain OD - OD with a variety of options.
    Speaker Cranker OD - One knob OD for those who like to keep it simple.
    Cloven Hoof Fuzz Grinder - New one EQD says it the hoof with more bass heavy tone and crunch.
    Palisades Mega Ultimate OD - Another new one its a based off the TS808 but with a ton of features.
    Hoof Reaper Octave Fuzz - Hoof and Reaper together with an added octave up.
    Hoof Fuzz- Hybrid muff style fuzz
    Dream Crusher Fuzz - EQDs take on the Fuzz Face claims to be very touch sensitive
    Dirt Transmitter Fuzz Driver - Voltage sag fuzz which can go from gated to ripping fuzz
    Crimson Drive Germanium OD - Rangemaster style to Plexi style of OD
    Monarch OD - Based off an Orange preamp
    Terminal Fuzz - Based of an old JAX fuzz, under the Superfuzz family.
    Zap Machine OD/Fuzz/Boost - All three in one pedal, limited run on this though
    Soundshank Fuzz - Another limited run pedal, based of the Buzzaround fuzz device.

I'd try them all if I could, some of them seem more guitar oriented but who knows.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021