1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making the neck of your bass faster

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jay2U, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
  2. I think you may be over-analyzing it; all he's suggesting is "roughing up" the shiny finish a bit, to make it more of a 'matte' finish... you shouldn't continue roughing up to the point where you've completely removed the finish!

3. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Very likely. I was concerned about the permeability of the paint. I gave it a second thought. The paint soaked into the wood as well, so it should stay protected. Thanks.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not all finishes penetrate the neck - lacquers and poly finishes do not. And paint doesn't penetrate as much as you think, although stain does.

If all you do is hit the finish with a light abrasive as he does in the video, you're not going to break through the finish. He actually does more scuffing than I probably would.

5. How many KM/H are we talking?:meh: Necks don't have speeds, just different levels of comfort, entirely dependent on your preferences.

Anyhow, I removed the lacquer on my 5'er and enjoy the results very much. I clean it up and give it a rub with lemon oil every once in a while, seems to do the trick.

Martin

6. I stripped the finish of the back of the necks on my poly finished basses with 600 and 1200 grit sandpaper and then tung oiled them...nice and fast now and keeps moisture out (my hands sweat ALOT and my left hand was always sticking to the poly...no longer with the tung oil)...been doing this since the 80's...no obvious penetration of hand oils or moisture in all those years of use.

7. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Speed has a relative meaning here. maybe we should call it stickyness? Anyway, I applied some light abrasive and the result is very noticeable. It can hardly be seen, the feel is much better than it was. It makes one wonder why so many basses and guitars have a glossy finish. :confused:

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If a neck is kinda draggy feeling, lightly sanding to duller shine, less then he does, and whole neck rather then half at a time can be a fix. Ive done that to a couple painted neck basses. It doesnt make it anywhere near ten times as fast though. Unless bad tacky finish maybe. Still, Id rather take a poly coated neck thats really comfortable and in the fast neck catogory from its neck profile. Rather then having to sand it a bit to improve neck speed.