Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making the press kit - how long is the bio?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My new band is feverishly working on getting our press kit done ASAP for some upcoming Big Gigs. I'm re-writing the bio because, well, it needs to be re-written.

How long should a good bio be? I can't imagine it being more than a few paragraphs. After that point I can just imagine people saying, "Ah, screw it." Paper wad. Garbage can.

Maybe even as short as one paragraph? Being succinct is hard. :meh:

2. Probably no more than 200 words. Anything more is not going to keep anyone interested, unless they are hardcore fans and then you can sell them your autobiography after you die. ;)

Focus more on your regular gigs than your one-offs if you can. Making the point that you get repeat gigs at good venues will let the booker know that you can please a crowd.

Do not list each members previous bands, or history - sell yourself as a band. If you are new together, just say:

"with many years of experience between them,....lala"

And, just my opinion, but a good live shot beats a posed promo photo hands down.

YMMV

3. Definately short. Be specific enough to where whoever is reading it will get an idea of what you'll sound like and how good you'll be, but anything else is excessive for a press kit. Think of your press kit like you would think of a resume. Brevity, clarity, and a professional look should be of utmost importance.

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I agree with the above posts.
    remember, the press kit bio is different then the web site bios.
    On the web site, that's where you want to get into individual bios and the extensive reviews etc.

the press kit should be short and sweet, direct and to the point...which is to sell the band package. Current show dates are a good thing.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Keep it short and be honest. I've never met a bar manager who wanted a long ass bio. It isnt all that important.

6. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    example for,you pro bio.

7. Damn that's fancy, but not in a bad sort of way.