Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making the switch(pc to mac)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by radioradio, Apr 9, 2004.

1. radioradio

radioradio Banned

Mar 16, 2004
    Arizona
    how many of you have switch from pc to mac?

im really fed up with windows right now and ive liked the macs ive used so far so im thinking about giving them a try.

my main concern is, will it be fast enough?
    im currently using a 2.5 ghz pentium 4 hp. The powerbooks im looking at are only 1.25 ghz... how much do you think that would be equal to in pc ghz?

sorry if this is a confusing question.. maybe i should have tried a mac message board instead, but i was already logged in here and it was on my mind.

anyways..

thanks in advance for all the help!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a 1.25 Ghz. Powerbook, it's seriously awesome. For me, It don't get any better than this as far as laptops are concerned.

here are the Applications I use a lot, none of them run slowly at all:
    Garageband(can get bogged down when I have dozens of tracks, but generally it's very snappy)
    Safari
    iChat
    Mail.app
    iTunes
    Photoshop
    Stickies

Things I like about my powerbook:
    It's fast!
    It's thin and light
    Very thoughtful design, all the necessary ports, in good locations
    The screen is bright and crisp
    The backlit keyboard is pure techno-lust
    The keyboard and trackpad are by far the best I've ever used on any laptop.
    The speakers sound great for a laptop
    S-video out is a big +
    Not having to use windows :D

Things I don't like: Most of these are fairly minor, not really serious problems, just small annoyances or issues.
    Battery life is pretty weak, I get 2 hours tops, that has gone down from the 3 hours I used to get on average.
    When you use it for long periods, if sweat accumlates beneath your palms, it leaves gross residue on the aluminum, it's very easy to clean, it's just kind of gross.
    When closed, it doesn't FEEL closed, the latch system(while a very elegant and clever design) could use some improvement.
    Sometimes I wish there was a firewire port on the left and right hand ride.
    Twice, my computer hasn't woken from sleep, I think this has something to do with the battery, which might be messed up.
    I scratched it! :( (accident)

OS X is a RAM fiend, the difference between 512 and 1 GB of RAM is staggering, you'd never think that such a performance increase could occur.

As far as Mhz. is concerned, there is a lot more to it than this, but the basic premise is that the Pentium line was designed for optimum raw speed, while the PowerPC 74xx(g4) is of a totally different design. There are some things that the pentium4 does much more efficiently than the g4, there are some things the g4 does more efficiently. but there are a lot more factors than just raw processor speed, RAM, system bus, Motherboard bandwidth, video card, HD speed, OS design and optimization, application optimization and design...etc.

But for me, Mac OS X is worth far more than any amount of marketing numbers. My powerbook gets done, what I want(And need) to get done, and that's good enough for me.

If you want to read up on this stuff, processors and such, head on over to www.arstechnica.com it's a very excellent non-bias source for hardware and software analysis, they have very good PC and Mac articles, comparisons, and information.

Additionally, www.appleinsider.com has a very good forum, though some people are a little zealous, you will generally find excellent information there.

3. SWITCH already!
    I can't offer the insight on the topic that WR posted, but let me tell you something...I switched from my PC desktop system to the 17" Powerbook and I am not lookin' back, my friend!
    Macs are not perfect, but in general, they seem to be much more thoughtfully designed.
    I have beat the snot out of my PBook running ProTools, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Reason, etc. for the past year and have yet to make it hiccup.
    Performance? I don't think performance is an issue. I have no facts or figures to back that up. Only my own satisfaction.

4. If more games came out on Macs that I play I would switch. The Mac Os is so much more stable. I'd have to say the only thing I don't lke about Macs are the one button mouse.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Y'all thought I was going to say something negative, smart alecky, or something like that here didn't you. :smug:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Reciprocating slaw! :ninja:

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The default one button mouse, OS X supports as many buttons as you can throw at it.

You wouldn't believe it, but studies have repeatedly shown that first-time computer users(grandma, mom, dad...etc.) are confused by multiple buttons. I didn't believe it at first, but then I not only saw it first hand more than once. But I have read dozens of stories of more-or-less the same content.

That is the practical reason why apple doesn't include multiple button mice default, because they have always marketed their computers as being easy to set up and use.

The other reason is stubbornness, It's a tradition that apple is upholding.

As far as laptops go, I highly prefer one button on my laptop, it really makes things a lot more efficient. For me at least, two buttons on a laptop is clutter for me.

Like, my default laptop usage position, is with my thumb on the right side of the clicker, my right finger on the CMD key, my middle finger on the Left arrow key and the ring on the DOWN arrow key.

this enables me to quickly go back pages on the internet and to jump to the bottom of pages. with CMD+[arrow]

my index finger moves to the trackpad easily enough, but my thumb pretty much stays on the right side of the clicker, only moving to the left when I am doing other button combos on the left hand side of the keyboard.

the point is, if I had two buttons, the right click would get in the way. Of course I'm probably an exception to this, but the way that the aluminum is designed, it really leads itself to not need two buttons.

as far as scrolling, All apple trackpads have this feature, They just disable it by default, there are 3rd party firmware drivers that enable it.
    I think this firmware can also active a left click and right click with the 'tap' feature, but I can't remember

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :D Your good Robot, very good.

I'm green with envy of your wordsmithing, but I'm too square to compete at your level.