Making use of the rack lids

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CoolHat, Feb 24, 2004.

1. My new rig got it´s final touch when I bought a Gator Roller Rack earlier today. Everything is now fine and dandy, except...

...there seems to be a lot of wasted space in the rack. I was thinking that the lids could be used to store lots of useful little stuff: spare cables, tools, batteries, paper & pens etc. They are 2" deep so there´s more than enough room to install some sort of pockets inside them. Does anyone manufacture such things? Has anyone done any DIY solutions? Pics?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    You could always stick a zippered pouch or something on the inside of the cover to hold tools, strings, etc. I've seen some people use the inside lid as thier pedalboard. I'll be interested to see your solution.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I use the little velcro ties to keep my cables would separately. I think a few long strips of velcro on the inside of the lid would hold cables in place.

SoCom: Jeers to cheap beer!!!!!
  4. You can get the thick Velcro (tm) strips with the super adhesive on the back, and go any route you want. It's a cool idea to Velcro (tm) your cords together then to Velcro (tm) them to the lid. Or a box or pouch using Velcro (tm) to attach it. Really great Idea!

(generic equivalent post)

You can get the thick hook and loop fastener strips with the super adhesive on the back, and go any route you want. It's a cool idea hook and loop fastener your cords together then to hook and loop fastener them to the lid. Or a box or pouch using hook and loop fastener to attach it. Really great Idea!
  5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    A pedal board came to mind. Many telecom flight cases also have a hinged door with rivited leather snaps to hold things into the lid.
    I think I like the pedal board idea better though, or maybe just a tuner velco'd in there. You could also fill it with expanding foam, and get a hole saw and cut out some holes for your beer...
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    you dont like trademarks?

7. It's not that, the "generic equivalents" get me.
  8. BTW, I wasn't making fun of your idea, at all. It's much better to keep the 1/4" ends in the lid instead of slapping against your amp, tuner, power supply etc...

CoolHat, you really should act on this quick, and start the CoolHat Rack Storage Solutions Corp.

I'm not kidding or being facetious.
  9. Pedal board would be good - except that I don´t use any pedals :) But that beer idea is really cool!
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    These where featured in Bass Player Magazine many years ago.

Would a Raktrap door for the Rackmount Lid do the trick?

Storage Pouch Idea also already taken:

11. Hey CoolHat, I told you to act fast, you just got beat out brother. :D
  12. Awwshucks... there goes my new career :bawl: Good thing I didn´t call my boss and tell him to take my job and shove it just yet...

Don´t believe they´re sold in Europe though, so I guess I´ll go DIY route anyway. That pouch design doesn´t look too hard, as long as I don´t have to do any sewing. I´m afraid of needles :eek: !
  13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I've always slid it under the front of my 2-10 cab to angle the speakers upward. :smug:
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been storing cables in my rack lids for years. However I only use the back lid. Putting stuff in the front one has resulted in moved or broken amp knobs.

I like this idea.
  15. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    hmm they're only taking custom orders right now, i was going to order a 2 door 4 spacer....

and the website still says 2000..... i guess i'll have to do a DIY pouch job....good idea though!
  16. I guess it wasn´t such a great business idea after all. I wonder why the rack manufacturers like SKB and Gator haven´t jumped on this. They could sell these as accessories or better yet, include them in their products as default.