Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making worn bartolini covers look good again?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jojo99, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jojo99

jojo99

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi..I have some Barts that are showing their age...worn/grey areas on the pickup surface. Anyone have any tips for making them look new again? I was thinking maybe a polishing compound and then a coating of protectant of some sort.....

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I haven't tried it, but have you thought of using an automotive plastic conditioner, like black magic, or armor-all? I imagine that would blacken them up, you would have to reapply periodically though. Just a thought.

3. STOP!!!!!

armor-all contains silicone...keep silicone AWAY from your wood...

I don't know, but can you change the covers on barts?

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    ??? So do most protective wipes, polishes etc. Including furniture polishes. What am I missing? I imagine that the bass is finished, and it wouln't be that hard to remove the pickups to clean them up and apply a protectant.

5. ok...remove them and clean them...but keep silicone away from wood....there are many quality furniture polishes that do not contain silicone...use carnuba or beeswax based products on wood, please

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

what EXACTLY is it that silicone does to wood that is to be so avoided? Is it wood or the finished?

I have applied armorall to Barts (and other pups) before while out of a bass and it does liven them up a little depending on how washed out they are, but the better condition they're in the better it makes them look and the poorer the least affect. At any rate, as we all know, the armor-all affect doesn't last for long and short of some special occassion or already having the pups out of the bass, I'd say it's not worth the effort. There supposedly is another armor-all like brand of stuff out there that isn't so oily like armorall in terms of attracting dirt. Although armorall feels oily I can't say I've noticed it to attract dirt/dust or gunk up on anything I've used it on. But I've haven't used the other stuff either.

I wouldn't be suprised if there was something around that would do the job, just don't know what'd be. Not something I've experimented with. Barts can really get that army gray thing going and they really need something to actually alter the tone rather than to throw a sheen on it, if you know what I mean. Maybe even something like shoe-polish or some tannery stuff. Blaspheme Blasheme! Just a thought.

7. Silicone is deadly to unfinished wood where it's to have a finish applied later. Nothing will stick or it will develop "fish-eyes" during application. Silcone is actually pretty inert - it won't react with other things. Its the stuff they use along with the silicone that can mess with finishes.

As far as finishing the Bart covers, try this...Use a medium cut liquid buffing compound like those from 3M or Meguiars on a soft rag and hand buff the cover hard. It should begin to clean it up and polish it up from the scratching. If you want it to have a brighter look, step up to the scratch and swirl remover for another round of buffing. I've done this a lot on Jazz covers and it gives them a very nice satin sheen