Making your own cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I haven't bought a cable from a store in ages since I learned how easy it is to make my own. Plus it's cheaper, and I can make them any length I want, with whatever connector I need. If it breaks, then I can easily repair it myself.

Anyone else say goodbye to store bought cables?
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I still buy the odd one occasionally, but I make tons more than I buy. The ones I make are generally very long lived, but they tend to get included with deals for other pieces of gear, so I keep having to make new ones.
  3. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Yup, I make my own cables, too. The one exception is the Zaolla (I think that's spelled right) that I use for my main input (di's, vocals, etc) in the studio. It's WAY higher quality than anything I could make.
  4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, I make my own my own cables. I usually take damaged high quality instrument cables, like monster and horizon (that my musician friends have destroyed), and cut out the shorts and/or replace the plugs.
  5. I've made many many many patch cables out of regular t.v. coax, and it works perfect... sounds fine. Otherwise, I use plain old Rapco cables...I'd use coax for main lines, but the jacketing isn't nearly flexible enough.

I make speaker cables out of heavy duty extension cords from time to time.
  6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

One of those "dollar" stores had 50' lengths of landscape lighting cable for a $1.00. I made some dandy speaker cables out of it. Worked great.

Also gave some away to model rocketers for ignition wire.

Wesley R.
  7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I hae also used t.v. coax. It works great for long runs because it has a high quality conductor and great shielding, but yes, it is rather inflexible. I also just mentioned the use of extension chords as speacker cables in another thread.