Making Your Own Custom Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Has anyone gotten around to making their own custom bass? When i'm bored, I think about things that I would put on my own. If I made my own, I think i'd put a Humbucker by the bridge and a J mid-way between the neck and that Humbucker. I would also put a mute button on it.

So has anybody done this? Looking at the Build-It-Yourself Carvin Kits reminded me.
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Take a walk over to the Luthier's section, You'll find more people making their own basses than you can shake a stick at. They all do GREAT jobs too. Makes me hesitant to even try myself.
  3. I'm 99% done w/a 26" scale mini-bass for my son, & about 50% done w/a pair of 38" scale 5 string EUBs. If I built 1/10 of the basses I draw, I'd be Bill Conklin(15 years ago).
    A mute switch is a cool thing- set your level(s), then there's no need to twiddle knobs. I have one on my Stambaugh- a very handy item.
    Oh, & I love the looks(as if that really matters)of Musicman pickups- I'd like a big, wide wenge-necked 6 string w/a single MM, not sure what else.
  4. Yeah, I'd like to make one some day, but you need a jointer, a planar, a nice big drill press, a nice router, and unlimited patience to make anything nice looking. I want a neckthru with an MM at the bridge, a J towards the neck, and a 3-band eq. I made a couple shapes too, incase I ever get enough money to pay a luthier(Marchlewski :D).

Attached Files:

5. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    head over to luthiers corner....and check out a book called Build Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock.....actually....Darrin recomended it to me and its probably one of the best books I've read about that sort of thing..
  6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

:scowl: Thats one of the biggest myths in bass building. Those things come later, I made my first EUB with nothing but hand tools and a couple sanders. And my second one, was that plus a band saw, that I used at someone else's shop. And not to toot my own horn, but I would venture to say that at least my secod one is "nice looking". You can find it on the luthiers corner if you have any doubts.
  7. Oh wow, thats very nice. I looked at other sites and kept seeing that a drill press was a must and all of these other rediculous tools....
  8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Your forgiven :D You live, you learn.