Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making your own fender decals

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 13, 2003.

1. making your own fender decals
    yeh i know this has been done a bit but still looking for information on somewhere i can find a good picture of an early scan of a fender jazz bass logo and maybe some water based decal paper (everywhere seems to have the oil based). don't worry i am not trying to start some counterfiet empire just find a cheap solution to a broken 62 reissue neck.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just a layperson non-luthier here...

I went through this with my MIJ Jazz whose rosewood neck got trashed. I bought an all maple Mightymite replacement licensed-by-Fender neck and also wanted to put a Fender decal on it.

Fender will provide you with a decal (I forget if they charge for it) once they are able to verify that you have an actual Fender bass. They will want you to provide pictures and serial numbers. Once confirmed, you can get a water-based decal. This can be done through the Fender dealer in your town.

Otherwise, you can try to make your own. I haven't seen any water-based decal sheets that you can print on using a computer. I've used the adhesive-back plastic transparency sheets that you can buy in most computer stores.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    why not just watch for 'em on ebay? I just got some that I put on a fender reissue neck...

P@

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Shucks PM! thanks, I forgot about that. good suggestion!