Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making your own fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jun 6, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey,
    I posted something before about fretless necks...and thanks for all the replies, but I wasn't looking to paying $150 to $200 for a neck (I know I'm cheap). I called up the local Guitar Center about someone defretting it, but that seems like its going to be about the same price... The guy there was really helpful and told me if I wanted to save the repair guy a step I could heat the frets up with a soldering iron (get it real hot), so the glue melts, and then gently pull the frets out with pliers... What I was wondering now was: does anyone know of any websites of how to make a fretless?? Either like an instructional thing or personal experiences?? Or even if you have your own experience...like how to go about doing it and filling in the cracks and coating it with whatever??
    Thanks

Chris

2. Bass Player did an article on this not too long ago. check out their website and do a search.

This has also been discussed extensively here.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Exactly how cheap are you?

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ¤sigh¤
    anybody recognize this one: http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

May I recommend the search facility, before posting new threads on old issues, while simultanously appologize for the times I don't do that myself? ;)

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000