1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making your own music instead of being in a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Nov 6, 2013.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Just an early twenties bass player, can also play guitar a little but lately I've been thinking to really become a good guitar player. Buy my own gear, recording equipment, lock myself into a storage room, basement, whatever it may be, and just make my own music. I use to want to travel and and just find people/bands since I have nothing holding me back. But damn, it's hard to find/keep people around. I've just hit a very confusing time in what I want to do with music. It sucks. I still feel like I could maybe find the right people but there is no telling where they are, or maybe I'm supposed to do it all myself and have that freedom. Very confusing times, indeed.

2. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    My friend, i understand you completely (and not many will). I tried the band thing myself for some years and found it frustrating. Too much compromises, always playing things i didn't want to play (originals i mean), always trying to pull the cover to your side when songwriting.... No matter how close our influences were, i'd often find out it didn't translate into their playing that much.

I was always playing guitar somewhat on top of bass and started composing my songs a long time ago but i was lacking a drummer, a singer, etc and i felt oh i can't do it all myself properly so i never gave it a good shot. I was about 30 when I realised i was much better off doing it all myself (also i felt by then i was good enough on guitar to not need anyone to play it for me) and i WISH i hadn't wasted so much time trying to make bands work. I'm 35 now and just started working on a record and i have never ever felt so fullfilled as a musician, not even close (to be fair, i'm not singing, my gf is, i can sing but suck at finding good vocal melodies). There's a history you know. There are some people like us who prefer to handle all aspect. Whether called Prince, Trent Reznor, Robert smith, Billy Corgan, etc.. Some of us can't take not being in total control of our sound (i might mention i'm also not very social). If you feel it might be you, don't waste time. I WISH i was back at your age now and doing just what i'm doing right now. There's nothing i wish so much right now in fact. I think i could have had a much different future if i'd done that.

And you don't need much you know in this day and age. A computer with a good DAW, a few instruments, some basic knowledge of mixing. And for drums, i use a program called Superior Drummer, you can make your own beats or piece some together from premade "grooves", and no one will ever be able to tell you're not using a real drummer (it kinda changed my life). Teach yourself anything else you might want to play. You're still young, you have time, do it now. Just in the last year I taught myself keyboard/piano, i'm not beethoven but i can play some piano tunes and now know enough to be able include the instrument on my tracks.

My goal right now is to finish the record and find musicians to play live. The band will be me and my gf though, the rest will basically be hired hands (i might know a few people who would be willing to do it actually so I don't have to just audition people) and will play what i wrote. Nothing else.

This might actually be what you need to do. Don't fight it if you feel it's what you want.

3. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I understand exactly what you are going through. I love creating music but finding compatible musicians for an originals project is extremely frustrating and dissapointing. I have absolutely no interest in joining a cover band.

A good friend helped me setup a DAW at home and I love it. I can explore musical ideas and it's even spured me on to get a 6-string along with some synths. All this has given me a greater appreciation for the different instrumentation in a song and how they all work together.

:bassist:

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    [​IMG]

5. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one haha. Thanks guys! I'll definitely keep giving it some serious thought!

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Do it! I left a reasonably successful local band earlier this year specifically do my own thing. I'm taking lessons again, working on my theory, dabbling in percussion, piano, and guitar. Work on your own vision! I can only speak for myself but I've found it infinitely more fulfilling than sitting around waiting to play someone else's music for an hour to a room (admittedly packed) full of drunks.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I did this as well for awhile when i took time off from bands.
    It was an incredible feeling to create music on my own.
    I had my room in the basement and i am able to play bass, guitar, and drums.
    Hooked up some mics and multitrack recorders and just took my time and had fun with it.
    You should do it!

8. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I play bass for a guy that writes and records all his own stuff. He can be totally self sufficient if he wants to be but chooses to hire out musicians to play shows. Puts a little more responsibility on his since he has the most to gain/lose but also gives him final say and a lot of freedom. I did the creative/forming a band thing for a long time and am now enjoying just being a sideman haha.

9. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    its tricky, y'know... the ol' reality sinks in more and more as you readdress the freedoms you thought were abound in your late teens (im 23 myself ;) )

If what you want is to make great music that satisfies you alone, and to post it to youtube and soundcloud, then all you need is a decent computer and whatever music gear you desire. but if you want tours, shows and $$$$$$, then there's compromise. and to play YOUR music, you still may need a band; the trick there is having that magic combination of your own complete vision, the skills and vocabulary to explain your vision, and knowledgeable or malleable enough musicians to execute your dreams. not to mention, you need that magical 'teacher mentor visionary' persona, or at least enough to convince people.

so how does this all happen? fortunately, or unfortunately, it requires a SCENE. you need enough musicians around that there are not only people who are on the periphery of your vision, but enough people that there are an excess, and therefore find-able, hidden musicians that you need to meet.

scene, in my experience, is the most important thing to 'get-to', once you can play, listen, think, and design the music you want to play. to 'succeed'(hell, anybody wants fans, even if you dont know what to do with them when you have them), you need the people to 'get' what youre doing, on stage and off. good luck, i hope youre near a big city ;)

10. Go for it ~

TIP: Focusrite Scarlet 18i8, and Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio 6. ;)

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's what I've been doing for a long time. especially when I was playing in other bands. while serving as bass player for the bands that I've joined, I formed side-projects. I've had song ideas that are completely different from what my previous bands I've played. and considering that the songs that I wrote isn't suitable for my previous bands, that lead me to start my own band as a side-project. I currently have 2 side-projects. here are links to check out the music I make.

Temptation's wings
    www.facebook.com/twchicago
    www.reverbnation.com/twchicago
    www.soundclick.com/temptationswings

Retro master
    www.facebook.com/retromastermusic
    www.reverbnation.com/retromaster
    www.soundclick.com/retromaster

Feel free to check out my bands. if you like what you hear, like us on facebook, become a fan on reverbnation, and tell your friends about my bands. I should also add that I do all vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards, and programming drum tracks on the songs I record. also I mix and master all of the songs.

12. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    Unfortunately, I am not near a big city. I am close to Charlottesville and Richmond, VA. Not BIG cities though haha

13. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    I have a similar dream...unfortunately, I can't sing worth anything, and my drumming skills are mediocre at best. There's something appealing about having complete musical control, though.

I say go for it. Seemed to work pretty well for Nine Inch Nails.

14. I'm feeling that way right now too. It's too hard to find people that want to do your thing/I wouldn't want to make them. I have other gigs that are collaborative and that's great. But for me, at least in the initial writing process, I want to be able to waste time tweaking tiny sections and changing tones and trivial bits and that's best done alone I think unless you have tons of time and people who are as obsessive as you are (few people are). Most of the people I encounter want to get out there and gig, be a tight live act, not obsess over the chorus sounds in bar 4 or whatever. I dunno

15. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    This thread makes me feel like I'm in a mirrored room full of reflections of myself.

Been working on my tunes almost entirely by myself since 2005. Nearly three hours total in a dozen songs. Could I have pushed a band to do that while raising a young family and starting my Air Force career? Absolutely not.

I enjoy it and see its progression as parallel to mine as a musician. If I'd finished in 2005, I'd have a boring pile of turds.

16. Chromer

Chromer

Nov 28, 2012
    Welcome to the Lone Wolves Club, we're here for you. I hope you like learning, because between drums, guitar, keys, songwriting, vocals, recording technique, DAW operation, production, tracking, editing, mixing and mastering... There is a hell of a lot of knowledge to integrate.

Still, it is incredibly personally satisfying to get an idea from your head to be a finished track, and the tools to do it are the best, most powerful, cheapest and easiest they have ever been.

So go for it!

Here's my solo project, for what it's worth...
    http://www.reverbnation.com/machineryofdesire

Feel free to ask any questions that may come to mind.

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Lol I remember that episode of the simpsons. that was hilarious.

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've been doing that too. I do a lot of recordings with my side-projects. I recorded all the vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards, and programmed drums on a lot of the songs I recorded. I also mix and master the songs. I oftenly have different song ideas and considering that my song ideas may not be suitable for my current bands, I decided to start my own thing and I received some positive feedback on my music. I've checked out some of your tunes. it sounded pretty cool. sounds like you got some sisters of mercy influences.

19. Huge94

Huge94

Nov 22, 2009
    Montreal
    I,m learning guitar right now to do the same. I have a bit of experience with drums too.

what do you prefer: playing and recording the drums or using a software such as Superior Drummer?

20. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I hear you loud and clear. I mean, I play at church and I play in a Thursday night cover band (which is soon to end), however.....I was laid off in 2009 for 14 months and during that time I truly believe that at 56 years old at the time, that I "found myself" musically. I wrote and recorded at home about 20 songs and it was THEE most liberating experience. I'm not saying my songs were great or that they were any good (well....I think a few were!), but it was a start, I was becoming a better guitar player and I got some very positive feedback from those who I shared my songs with. It was great! No arguing, no dealing with lazy people and being my own boss. I was very critical of what I did and wouldn't settle for "it's good enough." because I kept pushing my limitations. I'd always written bits here and there thru the years, but having all that free time when I was laid off made me realize how much was bottled up inside of me.

As much fun as it is playing with my friends on Thursday's (and making a little extra coin) I really don't think I'm going to pursue finding another gig once it soon ends...unless something pays better than I'm getting now. I really miss writing and would love to get back to discovering what's inside of me.

Good luck to all who pursue this course! I know where you're coming from.