1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making Youtube vids !

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pnut166, May 18, 2011.

1. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Hi all ! Every so often, a newcomer posts a thread asking how to make YT vids. Hopefully, this will help ! For the demo, I`m using Win 7, Cubase, and a DI interface. And, of course, a camera :) Here goes.

2. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Before setting your camera up, get your recording setup ready to go. For this illustration, I`m gonna play along to an MP3 and record using Cubase (while filming !).[​IMG][/IMG] Once finished, stop the camera and your DAW

3. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Next step: mix your audio recording to your tastes. For this track, I EQ`d my bass just a hair, and the MP3 is just a `lil above my bass, volume - wise. Export the finished track. If your DAW doesn`t give you the option of exporting as a MP3 (like Cubase), you`ll need a file utility to convert it to MP3

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Next, import your movie into your computer, and open with Windows Movie Maker, clip the beginning and end off the video if you like. Play the movie until you hear the music start then quickly pause, and try to note the time as close as possible. My mouse click is audible on the movie, so thats what I cue off of. This step is critical to avoid a lot of hassle !!! Go to "Add Music" moviemaker1.

5. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    thx

6. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    Thanks. What about the syncing? That Windows Movie Maker program can handle this?

7. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Import your newly-recorded / converted track. Shift the start time to where you noted, and play. Hint: Avg. reaction time from hearing the music to clicking the mouse to pause is 0.20. Back your MP3 up 0.2sec from where you paused it; that should get you in the ballpark. Example: play the movie. Pause as soon as music starts (or mouse clicks). Note the time, say 1.33 sec. Start the MP3 at 1.13 sec. to begin with. From there, it will take a few tries of shifting around, but you`ll get it - the camera audio and MP3 will overlap pretty closely. moviemaker2.

8. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    That`s what we`re doing manually.

9. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Shift the start time and get the MP3 synched with the camera sound / your playing as close as possible. Once synched, use the "Music Volume" slider to adjust your camera / MP3 balance - I prefer very little to no camera sound, especially if you can`t get it synched EXACTLY; you can get it within 1/100th of a second = pretty darn close, but including the camera sound sometimes creates a chorus / reverb - like effect - you can hear it on the last note of the song, as I left a little camera volume on. When done - save as WMV. Of course, you can add text, etc. if you want :)

10. This deserves a sticky!

11. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    And voila ! It`s really not that hard - just takes a little practice, and it`s the best method I`ve found ! Requires no specialized equipment or software = free! And :) I haven`t picked a bass up in about a month - I`m rusty, so be kind !

12. grobe

grobe

Apr 9, 2009
    Mass
    So your recording direct through the interface? I would like to hear what that raw bass track sounds like by itself (something I'm currently struggling with). It sounds very good in that video. Great work!

13. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Yes, through the DI. Then I set the fader to about 80/20% DI/camera audio. If you`re recording while playing along to a track (like the vid), simply mute the original MP3 on playback or delete it, saving/exporting only the bass track in the DAW portion.