1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Malekko B:Assmaster vs. Darkglass B3K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spector_boogie, Oct 7, 2013.

1. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    So, both of these pedals are about the same price used, and I just wanted to see if anyone had some direct 1:1 time in comparing them, which you chose, and why. I honestly want a new OD/drive pedal AND distortion, but didn't know if these covered the same ground sonically/basically, as I'm really wanting the OD/drive pedal to be my main one, and the distortion for "here and there" things.

I currently have an Xotic Bass BB Preamp which is nice and a Big Muff Pi DLX which is okay, so if that gives you any reference where I'm coming from, that's it. I also mainly play detuned 5 strings so low-end retention is great. I kind of have the mind to try the B3K first, but didn't know what I would be missing w/ the B:Assmaster.

2. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    The two are vastly different pedals. The B:Assmaster is a fuzz with some octave up and the B3K is a mild distortion / overdrive. The B3k deals more in flavors of an overdriven amp and the B:Assmaster is more for synthy fuzz tones. Both are great pedals and it would be fairly complimentary to own both. The Malekko will be very different from the big muff as both are based on very different circuits. For your described usage, I would go with the B3K assuming you can try it with your gear first.

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Oh ok, so the Malekko is nearly fuzzy then. I definitely am going to go with the B3K then first in that case. I didn't know the :Assmaster was more along the lines of a fuzz, which I'm not a 'huge' fan of. I like the clips I've heard but for what I do, it wouldn't get much use. Thx!