1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Malekko Charlie Foxtrot Demo/Rambling(probably)Blurb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CHILDISHGAMBINO, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I got a Charlie Foxtrot for Christmas for myself and I figured I'd post some sounds. I just used the Foxtrot and ran it through my Zoom B3 into Audacity, where I did nothing but hit record.

I'll start by saying that this pedal can be very, very weird or you can use it sort of like a tremolo or a delay - but still kinda weird. Anyway, yeah probably not for everyone. The first thing is just the first noodle I did with it when I got it and has a bunch of other effects on it. The second is just the Charlie Foxtrot sans drums in basically envelope mode, meaning the effect is triggered by your attack. I tried to show this by playing uneffected parts by playing lighter and then digging in a bit to trigger it. All the cleans are with the pedal on. The third one is in auto-capture mode and it just re-samples at the end of each cycle and can sound tremoloish or delayish. I tried to cycle through all the pitch and stutter mode for each setting change and also tried to use it subtly(for me anyway).

Here's my board if anyone wants to hear anything paired with it or whatever:

IMG_0422.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Bad ass son!!!! All the stuff I just bought, I still need this and the scrutator. Nice gamby!

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Man I love your board dude. All sweetness. All of it. Bet the foxtrot sounds sick with the gnome.....

Don't know how I missed it, but what's that recovery effects one? A stutter??

4. Thanks mang! It's a Cutting Room Floor one part is a modulated reverb and the other is modulated delay. The modulation is touch-sensitive and amazing. You can freeze with the momentary switch in reverb mode at the rate set by the time knob and it decays into clock-noise basically. It's noisy and greasy and super fun. I used to have it running into my Gnome and that was awesome glitchy madness. I miss that but I'm way too lazy to go through a board rearrange right now.

I might move the Foxtrot in front of all my dirt next time I move stuff. Dirt sounds good going into it but the way it hits the Orbit in either fuzz or VCO is magic so I'm guessing it would be better all up inside the Gnome too.

Somnambulance and gregmon79 like this.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Nice! I haven't had much time yet but must see if I can make some useful sounds with the CF. It's weird. :)

6. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I need it!

7. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    The Scrutator is a filthy sounding pedal. I tried it with my tech 21 bass chorus after it earlier. ;-D

8. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    I've tried to get my SolidGold FX to do quick flutters on bass like that and it seems like it doesn't translate as well on bass as guitar. Do you think the Foxtrot has a quicker and more pronounced stutter?

Somnambulance likes this.
  9. The CF can do very fast chops to the point of enter ringmodish sounds. I find with lower notes it's best to keep the mix most effected signal to get to most choppy sounds, kinda loses the choppyness with much clean blended. It is very choppy it's sampling your signal and spitting back out in chunks. That new Sneak Attack pedal might be great for choppy stutters too. So, yeah I find the Foxtrot to be choppier than any trem I've tried.

10. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    I always ran the trem after distortion though...might help before it? I know Malekko has a lot of goodness coming out. The Sneak Attack and Lil Buddy look awesome. There's some other pedals I've seen online coming up that look different? Does anyone know what else is up their sleeves? Your Foxtrot demo's sound great on bass.

CHILDISHGAMBINO likes this.
  11. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Honestly your bass demo's sound much more musical and in a band context than some of the Malekko demo's up on FB.

12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    You're right about the Solidgold, Try Idioitbox Dr Stutter or Flash Stutter. I got CF for Christmas as well and it is the most fun and successful addition. Taking advantage of it's octaves, it goes way high and way low, any low sub sonic via the chop sample.

johnp352 and CHILDISHGAMBINO like this.
  13. Thanks man.

14. I usually put trem after fuzz too but this thing isn't a trem(it does sound like one)so I've got some dirt before and some after. I find with fuzz before it it's harder to get the envelopeish mode to trigger the way I want it to.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  15. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Love what you did there, with that pedal, especially the first piece.

16. Thank you.

17. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the clips. First one is pretty sweet. They are all very helpful in making me want to spend money.
    I've been out of the effects game for a while. I may just be back in.

18. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I have agreed with others, that first clip sounds amazing. I'm having trouble making sounds as consistent as you are in that clip. I get that it's loops, just seems even when not in Random mode that every time I play a note it does something different.

I also just now got around to reading the manual. Interesting way to assign expression control, and I'm still not sure I fully get the threshold knob.

19. Somnambulance

Somnambulance Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Stop making it harder for me to ignore this pedal. The second demo is what I want out of a stutter/glitch pedal.

20. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Man every time I hear one of your demos, I want to start a band with you....