Malekko Downer?!?! Wavefolder, Saturation, Octave Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BunchyMutt, Mar 4, 2018.

1. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Shadowkast and theunknowndude like this.
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Any updates?

GentProvocateur likes this.
  3. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    I don't have one yet. My priorities shifted slightly so the octave down fuzz isn't as needed + I made an expensive, weird purchase (lyra 8) that pushed a lot of weirder pedal stuff to the back burner

from what I can see, it's been a weirdly low-key release across all forums.

Still very interested in this though

tewnty_two likes this.
  4. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Wait. Don’t bury the lead, here kid. You got a Lyra 8?! Spill the beans. That’s totally on my radar.

5. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Just got cleared through Moscow! If there's anything else you want know, feel free to tag me in the Ambient thread :)

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  6. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    Pedals and effects did a demo recently. It seems to sound killer on bass. What I can't figure out from any of the demos or even from downloading the manual from Malekko is if the blend knob blends your clean signal with distorted signal or if it blends the sub octave distortion with the non sub distorted signal.

Nephilymbass and monsterthompson like this.
  7. I didn’t know about it until tonight when I saw I had a YouTube notification for the video pedals and effects did. Unfortunately im at work and can only check it out with crappy cell phone speakers. I’m definitely interested after watching the video. It seems like it can get some nice synthy muse like dirty tones without having to use several seperate pedals. Going to listen to the video again on my way home in the car fingers crossed

8. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    Mesa, Darkglass, EQD, Mantic, Source Audio, Yamaha, Delano, Hamstead Soundworks
    It says this on the Malekko website re: the BLEND control -

"The BLEND control adjusts the Dry/Octave balance from 100% Dry to 100% Octave".

Then the SAT|WF control can give you clean at noon, and then moves into standard clipping/fuzz when moved anti-clockwise or wave folding (think crowther prunes & custard, source audio multi wave distortion) when turned clockwise. The intensity of this clipping/fuzz increases the more it's turned, and is also responsive to the setting of the PREAMP control.

From playing around with it the signal path seems to be dry/octave blend > distortion.

It's an incredible sounding pedal (I just got mine this week after playing one briefly a few weeks back) that is incredible for sub octave synth sounds, but also does some mega detuned synth sounds with the DOWN control just set slightly off unity pitch.
    The WF side of the pedal is also super responsive to dynamics, and it's well worth playing around with your volume control to get pseudo filter sweeps.
    I'll perhaps try to sort some sound clips if people are interested.

9. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks for the writeup! I wouldn't mind sound clips ;)

monsterthompson likes this.
  10. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    That makes sense now. I was missing that at noon the SAT/WF was basically at 0. Thanks for clearing that up! The octave down seems to handle chords so I'm assuming it's digital, do you notice any latency or tracking issues?

11. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    The Preamp certainly effects the gain of the input as well as influencing output volume so it's a bit of balance if you're wanting clean- though I haven't particularly pursued that so will see how much it can clean up if that's of interest?

As for latency, none that I've noticed in particular. I'll have a more critical listen and get back to you, but certainly not experienced anything that perceptible if so. Feels very immediate and responsive. Away from mine until the end of the week, but will report back then, possibly with a couple sound clips too.

12. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    I doubt with a pedal like this that I would regularly try to get cleaner tones out of it, I was just more curious as to whether it would be possible to run the SAT level low, preamp lower, octave off, and blend around 50% and get a somewhat traditional distorted/overdriven bass tone with some clean blended in. I know that's not where this pedal really shines but I'm always curious about versatility in any pedal that I buy. Also, I'd be curious to hear what the octave down sounds like without any clean blend or much distortion. Is it digital sounding like a POG or is it more like an OC-2/OC-3 sound? I'd love it if I could kick a few pedals off my board for this one. Either way, even without clean blended in it sounds like it handles low end really well.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I dig the sounds that came out of the P&E demo. I'd like to give it a whirl.

14. Ok I’m not one for zombie threads but there’s not much information out there and little bass demo’s…
    So does anyone currently use a downer? Been looking for the wave folder sound that’s not in a source audio pedal for ages but now I’ve found it not sure if it’s useful enough / a keeper…

monsterthompson likes this.
  15. sifrancis

sifrancis

Oct 29, 2012
    Belfast
    I still have and use mine regularly - it's a relatively unapologetic beast, so not one fro subtle application. I generally am using for big synth-y sounds, which it absolutely excels at, and the wave folding offers some very dynamic tones.

The SA Ultrawave is certainly a more varied wave-folder and allows for more subtle uses (I love a little bit blended into a muted and busy pick line), and can also get wilder. But the Downer is definitely a quicker, and more straight-forward route into wavefolding.

But if walls of octave distortion tones are desired, that can "wub" and squelch, the Downer is a tidal wave of awesome.
    For the adventurous it also works wonders on synths, drums, vocals, and pretty much anything else you care to push through it.

BunchyMutt and theunknowndude like this.
  16. thanks… that pushed me over the edge to buy one… just have to try abs see what I can remove from my board now to make it fit Woops!

17. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    this is where I use the line "I don't always use octave down, but when I Do, it's the Malekko Downer". No one has mentioned yet it also has high and low pass filters that change it's sound a lot. It Does have latency, but it's musical and the octave slams. It also does any interval, but it is analog control by ear not number (so an interval can be out of tune...). It reminds me of the old Boss 1/2 rack harmonizer from the 80s, which was simply the best, especially 5th up. I mostly use it clean into a solidgold Beta which is a lowmid boost and can handle the Downer without blowing up. The folded distortion sounds are awesome, but usually too awesome. Abandoned are the MXR delux (with mid boost) and seldom used- the Ricochet. Ricochet, with the Whammy tech, has the least latency, it's my favorite octave up.

theunknowndude and BunchyMutt like this.
  18. I have the Tc electronics brainwaves for pitch shifting - I mainly want the foldover… had the aftershock and the you’re doom but sold them when they didn’t fit my band but missed the sound a bit ever since…

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022