1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Malekko Echo 600 dual output problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jetofuj, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Hi!

I start to play with Echo's both outputs today. The idea is - if I understand it right - that I can use it in stereo mode. With "dry" switch on I get two channels: wet and dry. Using "wet" mode allowes effect to naturally fade out when the pedal is switched off. I don't get one thing. When the pedal is in "wet" mode, do I get two wet channels, or do I get only one wet channel and the second wet channel is activated when I switch the pedal off. When I use only second output in "wet" mode I get only wet signal and as I switch the pedal off, the effect slowly fades away and there is no clean signal.

I don't have 2 rigs but combo with 2 inputs. I didn't know if I can use both of them at the same time, so I plugged my bass and CD player and it worked. Then I connected Echo's both outputs with combo inputs. In "dry" mode everything seems to be all right. The clean signal is a little bit more present. The problem starts in "wet" mode. When I switch the pedal on it kills the signal. First I thougt that there is no signal at all but when I cranked the volume I realized that it passes a little bit of a signal through. But even with volume maxed you cannot almost hear anything.

Now I wonder if it is just some weird interaction caused by using both inputs in my combo or something is wrong with the pedal. Or maybe it is something different? I won't have chance to plug it to two separate rigs in the near future.

Thanks, Kris

2. Are you using a stereo insert cable?

3. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    No. Two mono cables. And by stereo I meant using two seperate rigs.

I think that the problem lies in my combo. When it gets 2 identical signals through 2 inputs at the same time the interaction kills the signal. I connected Echo's standard wet output directly to the amp and I put dirt box between second "wet" output and the amp. In this setup everything works as it should. When the pedal is on I get two different wet signals - one dirty, and one let's call not-dirty - and when I switch the pedal off my dirty wet signal slowly fades away and my dry signal appears.

4. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    If this is the case a small powered mixer or something like an LS-2 should fix it.

5. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I'm rather thinking about getting Morley ABC or other selector with A/B and A+B modes.

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I would recomend a LS-2 if you want to blend the two signals. If you use a ABY you could get more noise. ABY would work if you want one signal or the other but not well blended. LS-2 will give you more control, no noise, and way more options.

7. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    +1. I've always wanted an LS-2, just because of the sheer number of applications it can be used for! Just never got round to buying one as I spend all my cash on other effects :p

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    When you do get an LS-2 all it will do is annoy you because you can think of at least 2 other modes it ought to be able to do.

Then you end up sending requests for custom blenders to anyone who builds pedals, and they send you back emails saying they're not interested...

9. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +1000 :scowl:

10. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    But can I connect Echo to 1 send and 2 return inputs at the same time? Is there better solution to mix 2 channels than LS-2?

11. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Just run the two outputs of the Echo to the two return jacks and you can use the A+B mode to blend each one as you want.

12. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Thanks Bassenstien. I'm thinking about LS-2 but it lacks separate on/off control over 2 channels. I'd really want to have footswitch for each channel so I can switch between A, B and A+B. Is there any other mixer or parallel dual looper that would do the trick? I want to keep it in my main signal route so it can't couse any sound degeneration.