Request Malfunction by Cro-Mags (and advice?)

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by ArkAngel, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ArkAngel

ArkAngel

Feb 20, 2017
    I can't find bass tabs for this song, which is surprising to me because this is a NYHC classic from 1986... I'd have thought someone would have gotten around to it by now.

I've been riffing based on the guitar tab, but would love any pointers people have on either picking this out or finding someone who might already know.

Here's a riffstation link to the song.
    Play Riffstation

For now, I've been looping sections of the song in Reaper and playing with it. It's not hard to play something that sounds good, but I'd love to play something closer to the original before I go off on my own with it.

Any advice? Thanks!

2. ArkAngel

ArkAngel

Feb 20, 2017
    One of the things I struggled with on this song (aside from struggling just because I've never transcribed a bass part before) is that it appears that each riff is in a different key. I assumed the same key based on the verse which is really pretty clear, but it didn't sound right with the other two guitar riffs. (That would be something like A Aeolean or E Phrygian for the verse.)

One of the things I did was just do scales while the song played for several minutes. Easy in the verse, but I was lost in the other riffs. I may try learning the guitar part to see if it gives me better intuition about the song.

3. tom_305

tom_305

Jul 25, 2015
    While I can't help you with the tab, here's a stripped down pop cover of it that might make it easier to pick out Harley's lines.

4. tom_305

tom_305

Jul 25, 2015
    Heres a you tube of Harley giving tips on his style: