1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Malfunction Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GlennPagano, Apr 17, 2010.

1. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    I have a fz-2 and a boss big muff. It seems as though whatever pedal I put first in the chain, the effect is decreased and it really sucks. Is this normal?

2. You may need to elaborate on how it sucks...

3. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    The tone is just gone. When I put the big muff first there is very little fuzz and when I put the fz-2 first all of the bass is gone. Also when I play the pedals at the same time it just doesn't work.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How are you powering each of them? Does the particular Muff you have take a standard Boss type power supply? Do either of them have any weirdness with their LEDs either dimming or not lighting up?

5. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    A what?

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Don't you mean the ehx big muff.

7. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    Yea I meant to put bass big muff. I was thinking about the boss fz-2.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Seems to me you are experiencing low-end losses. this is usually common when using guitar pedals on bass. even though there are some guitar pedals that work well on bass. I would suggest using a blender pedal. blender pedals will help you get killer bass fuzz sounds without obliterating low-ends. the boss ls-2 line selector would be a good choice for a blender pedal.

9. Cant really help you out apart from agree with crystalman. although im intrigued why you run both pedals together? was it just to see if they worked, or do you commonly run two separate fuzzes together?

10. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    I was just seeing if it would work and how it would sound. I realized it doesn't work and sounds horrible.

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. There is a world of difference between the ideas of "pedals are malfunctioning" and "guitar pedals lose low end". I would not make that leap of logic. Also there is a world of difference between "doesn't work" in the sense of malfunctioning, and "doesn't work" in the sense of sounding bad.

GP, you need to figure out whether there is a malfunction or whether it's just too fuzzed-out to sound good.

12. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    I was unsure about using the word malfunctioning myself. I was just wondering if it was normal for a pedal to have a different tones depending on the location in the chain (one pedal used at a time). I realized the two fuzzes are way to fuzzed out and it sounds bad.