1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mall X-mas disaster!!!!!!Shopping blows!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jady, Dec 23, 2006.

1. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    So on Friday around 4PM the Modesto, CA police put out an emergency bulletin advising all citizens to stay away from the mall due to way too many people. The grid lock was so bad that the mall lot was completely full and it took an average of 2 hrs to get out of the parking lot.

People were actually running out of gas waiting in traffic. Cars were stalled in traffic and general chaos ensued. The police had to be dispatched on horseback to keep the peace. I haven't heard of any violence or looting or anything like that but it was still pretty crazy!!!!!

I hate X-mas..............

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Sounds like Modesto is growing up! Now, if they can figure out how to cram two more Bed, Bath, and Beyonds between all of the Starbucks'!

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Damn Modesto must have grown a bunch since I've last been there then.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Christmas is God's way of saying "Ha ha! April Fools!"

5. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    Last weekend I saw for perhaps the first time in my life a 100% full mall parking lot. I've seen some full ones, but never have I seen one where literally every single space in the entire area was taken. And then there were about 50 cars driving around looking for spots. It was awful.

6. This is why free parking is bad. You have a mall parking lot that's 2/3 empty about 360 days a year, and is completely over capacity on the other 5. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Better idea: build a small parking lot/garage and charge a dollar to get in most days, but $10 or higher on the day after Thanksgiving and the two weekends before Christmas. Use the proceeds from the parking fees to spruce up the mall and maybe lower the rent for the stores. That way, the people who would rather have a root canal than pay for parking will shop on other days and thus not clog up the parking lot, while the people who absolutely have to shop on those 5 days will be able to get in and out without too much trouble.

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Glad I live in Texas.
    Ain't packed in 'round here like that.
    Malls between now and Sunday at midnight are insanity.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow, that is crazy. I wish I had been there.

-Mike

9. youre about as weird as aheadhunters fan in washington state

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Better idea: you should move out of Modesto.

11. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Malls are for idiot lemming who don't understand it kills their entire town to shop there.

Celebrating my 17th mall-free christmas, thank you very much.

Enjoy your cluster fudges.

12. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    This year, I did almost all of my shopping on the internet. I barely left the house.

13. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I wasn't shopping there thank god, I was just passing by on the freeway. I actually finished up my shopping yesterday morning at Wally-world. It was pleasantly empty at 10AM. LUCKY ME!!!!!!!

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hoho, tell me about it! I was in town last Wednesday for a haircut and to get my dads present (thus finishing my Xmas shopping!). The town was packed, people everywhere. The buses were crammed full of people and a lot of people were getting on with bags and bags of shopping which only served to make thngs worse.

I still loving shopping on winter evenings near Christmas though, there is something so joyous about the chaos.

15. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    pretty freaking crazy. 1/8th of u.s. population is in california so i guess this is to be expected.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa

[​IMG]

vc264.

Couldn't resist.

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Rather than "hating" Christmas I think it would be far more appropriate to "hate" Overpopulation instead.

George

18. That's not overpopulation; plenty of much more densely populated places than Modesto are very orderly. This is just mismanagement and bad policy.

When you concentrate commercial districts into little self-contained "bubbles" surrounded by arterial streets and completely isolated from everything around them; mandate design standards for residential neighborhoods (cul-de-sacs, barrier walls, etc.) that turn what used to be a half-mile walk into a two-mile drive; and force the mall to provide so much free parking that it has no incentive to charge for it--that's when you get a disaster like this.

Modesto is hardly unique among American cities in adopting planning rules and regulations that encourage this sort of madness. It just happens that the situation is worse in California because land prices are so high. Rules that work sorta well in Kansas City or Dallas don't work well in places where an acre of suburban land goes for $4 million.