Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Malthumb's Newest Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Mar 21, 2004.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Sorta. Will be soon. I had intended for this thread to wait until I had it in my hot little hands, but......

For the record, I could have named this thread "Birth of a Bass #3" because this bass is built by the same luthier that built Wolfehollow's basses in "Birth of a Bass" and "Birth of a Bass #2". After seeing the first one, I contacted Wolfehollow and asked him if he would put me in touch with the luthier, Jacob Marchlewski. I also asked him if he'd mind if I were to steal his design for my bass.

Not only did Wolfehollow agree to both requests, but he went by Marchlewski's shop several times, snapped progress pics for me, and posted them to a web page. Hard to find people that are that nice.

The specifics on the bass....

Same body configuration as Wolfehollows 4 string fretless in the first thread. Mine will be a 5 string, with Amboyna burl top and back, maple core, maple neck with bloodwood laminates, birdseye maple fretboard and pickguard, gold plated monorail bridge, and adjustable brass nut. I asked for a flat wide neck profile so that the neck would feel similar to my 6 string Hanewinckels. I also asked for a slightly different headstock design.

Here's the link to the page Wolfehollow set up for me. More on this bass after I get it.

Marchlewski #3

Peace,

James

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, James. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far from this builder. Serious new talent.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I agree with Brad, looks great........ I hope that birdseye pickguard isn't going on it though....... It looks killer with out it!! But what works for you is most important...

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bet it's gonna be killer, James. Congrats!

5. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    So sweet

6. WHOA! That thing's shapin' up quite nicely, I'd say.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Based on the picture at the web page, I was gonna pull the pickguard, but I asked Jake to send me a picture with the amboyna top and the birdseye pickguard swiped with acetone. It gave me the perspective I was looking for, so I'm keeping the pickguard.

The back was originally gonna be the top, but I saw this little alien figure in the amboyna and wanted to keep it intact. The only way I could do that was to put it on the back.

Peace,

James

8. Sweet top!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I liked the natural wood pickguard on Wolfe's bass and I like it on your's.

10. Man what a serious hunk of wood. Why in the world would you want to cover that incredible wood with a pickguard?
    Seems like a shame to me, but whatever makes you happy is what counts.
    Enjoy that sweet bass!
    Dirk

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Oh, snap, man! That's gonna be wicked!

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    WOW!!

Jake is gifted man!! this bass looks very nice and Jon designs are great!!!

Peace,
    JP

13. Another vote for NO pickguard. Looks great without it! (or with it - it's just plain beautiful!)

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    That PG in the pics is not the real PG. It was a mock up. The real PG goes well and ties everything together. I liked it without also until I saw it with the new guard. I know he made the right choice. It sort of looks like the negative of my bass. Im going out there today so I will post any new pics I take.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You mean it is not going to be an Alembic, whats going on here ;) . Best of luck with it

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Naw, not this time. I doubt that I've bought my last Alembic, but this time I wanted to experiment with a few things, like a flat, wide neck on a 5 string, monorail bridge. Didn't want to sink a lot of cash into it, either. And probably primary, I absolutely love the design Wolfehollow came up with.

Peace,

James

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    One of the effects I was going for. I wanted the fretboard and the pickguard to have the same look and feel and lay in contrast to the rest of the body.

I understand what folks are saying about covering up beautiful wood with the pickguard, but try and view this perspective....

• The bridge and the pickups will cover or displace significant amounts of the top wood anyway
    • The beautiful wood is being covered by other beautiful wood
    • The b-e maple pickguard sets up the amboyna burl knobs for another level of contrast

It'll be fine, trust me ;)

Peace,

James

18. That looks like it's turning out dangerously nice! :cool:

Godd luck with it, James. Can't wait for the finished photos.

Mike ;)

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the birdseye pickguard, I say roll with it! Gorgeous bass overall. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it, James.

Note: judging from the bottom few pix, the bass will *have* to have a pickguard because the top is routed for controls.

20. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Heres a pic of the real guard... its nice!

[​IMG]