1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MAM triple resonant filter, and other neat items

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by bongomania, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TRADED
    MAM RS-3, Alesis MicroLimiter, LittLite w/mount&dimmer, Alesis F2 expression pedal

First, the MAM: The full name is the Music And More RS-3 Resonater, and it's three resonant bandpass filters with multiple modulation sources and stereo panning. :eek:

[​IMG]

It takes a mono signal in, and sends mono or stereo out. It likes a fairly hot input signal, you won't have good luck plugging a low-output bass straight into it. I always got the best results putting some sort of booster or preamp in front, or putting this unit in an amp's fx loop.

The mono sound is awesome, but the stereo sound is what makes people wet their pants. Each of the three filters pans individually, and their relative pan placement is tied to the resonant frequency point you set for each. So some truly insane head-tripping multiple stereo filter sweeps are possible.

It has an onboard LFO for auto-wah type effects, an envelope follower for env. filter effects, and an input jack for external modulation such as an expression pedal, for treadle wah effects. Each of those modulation sources can be fine-tuned for a variety of responses, and any/all sources can be used at the same time if you want.

The sound quality is super fat, and it can be dialed for very wet or very dry filter tone with the adjustable resonance. It easily exceeds any other filter I've used in terms of both tone and funkiness. I don't have the means to record soundclips right now, and the only track I have handy that features it is this snippet from a non-bass project: http://www.ev-b.com/mp3s/ev-bdotcom-tunein.MP3 That barely even touches the tip of the iceberg though.

What's the catch, you ask? Well, it is not footswitchable on/off. There is a bypass switch on the front panel, and the bypass is good and clean, but most folks will want a footswitch. If you search on "mam" and "relay" in the fx forum there was a user there who built a relay footswitch for his MAM fliters and he said it worked great- I just never got around to building one myself.

Why am I selling if it's so ultimate? I need the $$, that's all. TRADED

Next up, an Alesis F2 expression/volume pedal: TRADED

[​IMG]

Not only is it a rugged and smooth-operating volume pedal, and an expression pedal with switchable polarity, it happens to work perfectly with the MAM filter. ;) It's in great shape, although I did remove the rubber feet some time ago. TRADED

Next, an Alesis MicroLimiter: TRADED

[​IMG]

It's at the top of my list of cheap compressors, and it's actually more effective as a peak limiter than many devices I've used costing hundreds more. It's cosmetically decent, some scuffs and scrapes but nothing bad, and it works perfectly. Comes with a non-original power supply. TRADED
    Thanks!

2. That RS-3 sounds ridiculous!! I gots t'get me one o dems!

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    PM on the EXP pedal.

I shouldn't do this right now... but it's the only time I've seen one really available in a while... and it's a good price.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Both Alesis items are now TRADED, thanks! The filter and the light are still available. :)

5. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    That's what i get for spending too much time over on tgp...

Spanky, if you ever decide you don't need the expression pedal, send it my way.

And btw, you don't need the expression pedal. :D

6. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I am the one who built the relay bypass for my MAM filter. It worked great and I'd be happy to lend anyone my expertise in building such a thing.

I have nothing but great stuff to say about MAM products. The filter I have isn't the same model as the one for sale here, but it's easily my favorite effect ever. So, uh, yeah, buy this. Bumpz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.